• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to display in coming callers name on phone

Piiman

Android Expert
May 28, 2010
Does anyone know how to make the phone display the callers name and not their number for incoming calls? Right now when the phone rings it displays the phone number and I would like it to display their name. These are callers I have in my contacts so it knows thier name but i can't find any option to make it display name and not number

Thanks

it shouldn't really matter how the contacts were loaded, so long as the number that is programmed is the full 10-digit number. In other words, if you have 456-7890 programmed, but 123-456-7890 calls you, it probably wont register the caller id because it's different in the phone.

make sure all your contacts have the area code included. If you're still having a problem, then sync your contacts with your GMail account and wipe the phone.

ALSO, a point I had to learn the hard way -- if you add new contacts, make sure to add them as a Google contact, and not a phone contact, otherwise they don't sync.

Upvote 0
I think that if you don't have the area code in your contact entry then it won't show up when they call. Your phone is looking for (876) 555-4444 where you have stored 555-4444. It bugs me too because my old windows mobile phone that I exported the contacts from would display it either way.

**EDIT**
seVer beat me by a minute

Upvote 0
How did you populate your contact list? Did you use Google, mobile backup, or did you do it manually?

I backed it up with VW backup. Bought new phone and used backup to download them. They all look like they did be before but when a call comes in it displays the number. Sometimes even though it is a known contact it says it's a new one and want me to add it. WT?

Upvote 0
it shouldn't really matter how the contacts were loaded, so long as the number that is programmed is the full 10-digit number. In other words, if you have 456-7890 programmed, but 123-456-7890 calls you, it probably wont register the caller id because it's different in the phone.

make sure all your contacts have the area code included. If you're still having a problem, then sync your contacts with your GMail account and wipe the phone.

ALSO, a point I had to learn the hard way -- if you add new contacts, make sure to add them as a Google contact, and not a phone contact, otherwise they don't sync.

Never had the problem before and may do have the full 10 digits (some don't but even the full ones don't display name it display the 10 digits :)

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to wonder if the VW backup assistant really worked correctly with my old phone. I've noticed that the call logs show the number but in the name fiels it says "unknown" even though the name is in the contact weird. I guess I'll just have to correct or re add them as I find them. Suxs

BTW how do you sync with gmail?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones