How to do this?

Last Updated:

1. mo25

mo25 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So this is what I want to do:

I've seen threads on remote desktop but I want to be able to stream music from my laptop at home to my droid on the go. However, I want to be able to play all my music through winamp (because of it's preset EQ).

Is there a way I can remote desktop into my laptop through my droid so I can see the actual windows background of my home laptop (I have W7 Ultimate) and stream music to the phone by playing it through winamp?

I want to be able to listen to flac (which is the something droid can't do) which is one of the reasons I want to go through all this.

I actually don't have a droid yet but if I can do this I will probably go out and buy one tomorrow.

Advertisement
  2. square

square Well-Known Member

not possible.

3. Flahusky

Flahusky Well-Known Member

4. Inphosys

Inphosys Well-Known Member

Remote Desktop and streaming to Winamp are two separate things. You could run Winamp on your desktop PC and log into it via Remote Desktop. Assuming you have your computer set up correctly ... and assuming the Droid Remote Desktop Client from the market supports audio over RDP, then yes ... you can do it.

But every time you wanted to do something different, you would have to bring the remote desktop client to the forground, manipulate your desktop PC, and then minimize the client back down. All of this assuming it still works once your computer locks the screen after the requisite time-out period, or if you go out of service and then come back in, will the client re-establish your RDP session with your desktop PC and will the audio start automatically?

This sounds like an interesting test. If you decide to pursue this, please re-post and let us know how it goes. This would be an interesting work-around to a lot of questions when people need out of the ordinary protocols on their droid.

Best of luck,
    Brad

5. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member

have you tried remote desktop client? Because I don't think you can hear audio on the stream. . .

but I'm sure you would have checked that before recommending it to this poor chap, right?

:eek:

6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I just tried streaming music from my laptop to my DROID via the Remote Desktop Client app ... no go. The media player opened, then just stopped. I tried the same thing with another PC in my home and it played. HOWEVER, even then it wasn't perfect. There were still glitches about every 30 seconds or so. I don't think RDP was ever meant to act as a remote media server for streaming audio.

Almost forgot to mention that the RDP app does have a field for "sound" and I had checked, but that didn't seem to help.

7. Inphosys

Inphosys Well-Known Member

Thanks for testing and posting your results! I had a pretty strong feeling you were going ot find this.

RDP is a great protocol, but the number of packets it produces is quite large. Too many for the Droid to keep straight over a 3G connection.

8. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the Orb apps that just came out for android? (Also, it seems like there might be an orb winamp plugin?)

9. mo25

mo25 Active Member This Topic's Starter

That doesnt' mean it wont work.

Messenger 13, try using this program:

MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software

And use it on the 3g not a wifi and let me know if it works. A lot of people have had luck with this program.

I'm guesssing the winamp theroy is out though probably.

EDIT:

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!!
    https://winamp.orb.com/orb/html/login.html

Now I hope they just have the preset EQ and it has the ability to keep the orginial bitrate (for flac espeically).