• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to downgrade to ZV3 to flash to rooted ZV4 ????!

petermg

Jan 30, 2012
I've literally been looking for like 2 hours... I KNOW I saw a thread about this BEFORE I got my volt.. but now that I have it.. I CANNOT LOCATE IT. I read people saying search for it but I cannot find it again!?!?!?!

If anyone could post me the link I would greatly appreciate it.. Thank!

That's it...although it references donjuro's 'updated' z4 zip, which has been removed. You can just download the old one (in the same thread), but be sure to get the radio.zip and flash it too when you flash the ROM. You'll also have to flash the kernel with flashify after everything else. Just pull the boot.img from the ROM zip.

Upvote 0
That's it...although it references donjuro's 'updated' z4 zip, which has been removed. You can just download the old one (in the same thread), but be sure to get the radio.zip and flash it too when you flash the ROM. You'll also have to flash the kernel with flashify after everything else. Just pull the boot.img from the ROM zip.

This is the step im missing. Would i fastboot boot the cwm then install radio zip? How do i flash the kernel? Where do i find these files?

Upvote 0
Ok I did everything last night and my phone is working got it activated and everything but I did NOT flash the kernel. I didn't read anything about needing to flash the kernel in those tutorials. How can I do this and is it possible that I do NOT have to flash it? Also why do I need to flash the kernel?

Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0
What version is the new kernel? Because I successfully flashed the radio following your instructions, but when I tried to flash the boom.img from the v4 ROM zip file, it seems like flashify just rebooted the phone, didn't go into CWM Recovery, and my kernel is the same version as it was before I rebooted, which is 3.4.0+

Thanks for your help!!!

Upvote 0
What version is the new kernel? Because I successfully flashed the radio following your instructions, but when I tried to flash the boom.img from the v4 ROM zip file, it seems like flashify just rebooted the phone, didn't go into CWM Recovery, and my kernel is the same version as it was before I rebooted, which is 3.4.0+

Thanks for your help!!!
You can't just look in the software info because it's still the same version of Linux... Check this post ( #188 ):
http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6741467
(You can just use terminal emulator)

Upvote 0
Quick question regarding root for this phone. Do I need to format my microSD card in any special way, such as Ext2 or FAT32? Also, do I need to make 2 partitions for the microSD card? I've only modded one phone before a few years ago and I recall I had to do that to the card. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Quick question regarding root for this phone. Do I need to format my microSD card in any special way, such as Ext2 or FAT32? Also, do I need to make 2 partitions for the microSD card? I've only modded one phone before a few years ago and I recall I had to do that to the card. Thanks!
No... The only reason to do any formatting or partitioning is to use link2sd.
It's already fat32, BTW.

Reactions: m4p
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones