• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps How to download and display images?

mferrell

Lurker
Jun 30, 2010
Hello. I'm trying to make an app in which I download some images, and then display then. From my understanding, images to be displayed need to be in the drawable folder and R.java, but I can't update the latter while the app is running.

Any idea on how to go about adding images that I get while the app is in use?

Thanks.

You need to download the image and then create a drawable with the data.

Code:
URL url = new URL(link);
URLConnection connection = url.openConnection();
connection.connect();
InputStream is = connection.getInputStream();
BufferedInputStream bis = new BufferedInputStream(is);
Bitmap bitmap = BitmapFactory.decodeStream(bis);
bis.close();
is.close();

Obviously, you'll want to wrap that in a try/catch and run it on a thread other than the main UI thread. Create and findViewById an ImageView and call it's setImageBitmap method with the new bitmap you have created.

Upvote 0
I am trying to use the above code... but it is giving me request time out... connection.connect() tis line is taking too much time... i'm getting the following error.. can u help me with wat modifications i can do to get images from a url and display it in imageview?
08-25 16:46:51.404: DEBUG/SntpClient(59): request time failed: java.net.SocketException: Address family not supported by protocol
08-25 16:47:19.616: WARN/System.err(7344): java.net.SocketException: The operation timed out
08-25 16:47:19.625: WARN/System.err(7344): at org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSNetworkSystem.connectStreamWithTimeoutSocketImpl(Native Method)
08-25 16:47:19.634: WARN/System.err(7344): at org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSNetworkSystem.connect(OSNetworkSystem.java:115)
08-25 16:47:19.634: WARN/System.err(7344): at org.apache.harmony.luni.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones