• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to download local Offline Speech Recognition?

M

milesbennetdyson

I was looking through the settings of the Google Search app and under the Offline Voice Recognition setting it says I have English (US) pre-installed but I'd like to have English (UK).

I've looked online and it says I should be able to download other languages in Settings > Language and Input >Googe Voice Typing settings but all I have is 'Choose input languages' and 'Block offensive words'. I have English (UK) selected here, but if I go back to the Search app's Offline Voice Recognition settings it says I'm using US. ANy ideas how I get UK?

I found a thread over at another forum that may be useful for you:

[GUIDE][WORKAROUND]Enable Google Now Offline Voice on Unsupported Devices - xda-developers

There are many Jellybean users(including me) who do not get an option to download offline voice recognition support in Google Search app(see image below).
The only explanation I was able to find was that Google excluded some Jellybean devices to download offline files due to hardware limitations(Source: utter! FAQ)

I don't know what the limitations are but I found a workaround, and here it is!

The Google Search app downloads the offline voice files in /data/data/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/app_g3_models/<language name>/<offline voice synthesis files here>
To trick Search we just have to place the offline voice files in the directory and set permissions, and you'll have offline voice available on your unsupported device

The needed files are also posted in the next post.

Let me know if you run into any issues :)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones