• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to: Enable fastboot and unlock bootloader, No flashing needed. WORKING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danhalen1

Sep 28, 2012
Mod note -

This is very outdated. We have flashable recovery. Here's a current rooting guide.

Proof:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
OKAY [ 0.012s]
finished. total time: 0.013s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot oem unlock
OKAY [ 0.004s]
finished. total time: 0.005s

(bootloader) Device unlocked: true
OKAY [ 0.013s]
finished. total time: 0.014s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>

This is all that differs after running fastboot oem unlock
2KZEyew.png

THERE IS NO REASON TO DO THIS YET WE DO NOT HAVE A WORKING RECOVERY OR A ROM

How it works:
[GUIDE] Fastboot for L90 D415 | Optimus L90 | XDA Forum

Because people had trouble and were cutting and pasting and didnt see a period after a file name:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf of=/sdcard/laf.img

Run the following code to zero out laf:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf

adb reboot
power off
hold volume up
plug in usb

You delete the laf partition, which forces fastboot mode and takes the place of download mode.

IF you want to return the phones download mode
fastboot flash laf laf.img

EDIT: you can skip flashing the laf.IMG back before exiting fastboot if you wanna leave fastboot mode enabled instead of download mode. But be careful as without download mode you might not be able to recover from a brick.

So think about what you feel is more useful. In fastboot you cannot flash /system/ back because it is too large.

Disclaimer: This is what i did and it worked. Try this at your own risk, always assume anything you do on your phone will result in a brick and it will be unrecoverable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proof:
OKAY [ 0.012s]

OKAY [ 0.004s]

OKAY [ 0.013s]

2KZEyew.png

How it works:

Follow this exactly. WHEN YOU ARE DONE IN FAST BOOT MAKE SURE TO RESTORE THE LAF.IMG

I made sure to do this so there were no unintended consequences. You delete the laf partition, which forces fastboot mode and takes the place of download mode. I dont know what would happen if you didnt restore the laf partition before exiting fastboot.

Disclaimer: This is what i did and it worked. Try this at your own risk, always assume anything you do on your phone will result in a brick and it will be unrecoverable.
So there's no way to do this without a computer I take it!!! I know its a stupid question but I sold my laptop last month & haven't quite bought a new one yet! Dam!

Reactions: noeticprince
Upvote 0
Proof:
OKAY [ 0.012s]

OKAY [ 0.004s]

OKAY [ 0.013s]

2KZEyew.png

How it works:

Follow this exactly. WHEN YOU ARE DONE IN FAST BOOT MAKE SURE TO RESTORE THE LAF.IMG

I made sure to do this so there were no unintended consequences. You delete the laf partition, which forces fastboot mode and takes the place of download mode. I dont know what would happen if you didnt restore the laf partition before exiting fastboot.

Nice work bro. :)

Upvote 0
Yah just read up n did sum Googling & the F90 is known as the LG D415 & it says at the end of that article Bad_MOFO_33 posted says the aboot file from that recovery will permafry your handset basically!!! So that sux ! Unless I'm wrong, I'm wrong a lot! But yah pretty sure I read it properly! Anyhow let's keep trying folks!
Correct, they use very, very different aboot's. While studying the aboot of the 415 to compare it to our aboot, they dont even have the secureboot strings listed. The 740 shares the same secureboot commands with the d405, and d410. But yet again, they all use slightly different aboot/boot/recovery systems.

Reactions: mjhealy1978
Upvote 0
Correct, they use very, very different aboot's. While studying the aboot of the 415 to compare it to our aboot, they dont even have the secureboot strings listed. The 740 shares the same secureboot commands with the d405, and d410. But yet again, they all use slightly different aboot/boot/recovery systems.
I read the article again and I can't believe I missed this! The recovery is reported working on the d410 & d415 so could it maybe work? I dunno... It be nice if it did!

Upvote 0
It won't boot from fastboot, gives a DTB error. Im fairly certain it uses a different kernel. The version of fastboot lg uses seems somewhat stripped, fastboot OEM ? Returns nothing as well as many fastboot get var commands. Maybe fastboot boot file is also wacky. I do not know.

To correct from before, you can skip flashing the laf.IMG back before exiting fastboot if you wanna leave fastboot mode enabled instead of download mode. But be careful as without download mode you might not be able to recover from a brick.

So think about what you feel is more useful. In fastboot you cannot flash /system/ back because it is too large.

Upvote 0
The laf being present or deleted most likely has nothing to do with the change in aboot. I didnt bother to look into it any more. I deleted laf, booted into fastboot, unlocked, flashed laf back and rebooted and dumped aboot again to compare it to the original. Aboot seems like a good a place as any for a change that sets the unlocked status. Abootb, boot, laf, were all the same.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones