How to enable Froyo's built-in WiFi/USB tethering?Support

Last Updated:

1. The Faceless Rebel

The Faceless Rebel Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can it be done? Obviously Verizon and Motorola have disabled it because they want us to pay $20/month for the Verizon app. Yeah, sure Verizon. Anyways, if it requires a custom ROM to enable, then we're SOL until someone breaks the bootloader encryption or we have to use the free WiFi Tether for Root Users app which only supports Ad-hoc mode and WEP encryption, which basically is the same as no encryption really.

Advertisement
  2. thephased

thephased Well-Known Member

I know bluetooth tethering worked with the droid x in 2.1 with any additional software or modification. You just pair it with your computer. It works fine on my mac.

I don't have 2.2 yet, I'm hanging in there for the OTA. I don't have any big issues right now so I'll just wait.

Reportedly it works in froyo as well, but I'm not sure if bluetooth tethering is what your looking for... It's not that fast, but bearable if you just need to go on websites.

check out the thread here:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-tips-tricks/126505-built-tethering-via-bluetooth-2.html

3. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Just root the phone and you are done works on 2.1

4. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

AFAIK, all of the tethering apps available now use ad-hoc mode when tethering wifi.

I think the OP was looking for something that would enable infrastructure mode thus creating a true access point to connect to.

5. Mojorisen

Mojorisen Well-Known Member

You can root and install WiFi Tether (free from Market). It creates an AP for up to 5 phones I believe.

6. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

I guess Ad hoc never mattered to me because most devices (all the ones I have) support it. I don't even turn on encryption and WEP would be adequate for a temporary point anyway. It has a DHCP server built in so it supports multiple devices. If you need AP mode, I guess you are SOL unless you want to pay. Probably worth paying if you tether a great deal anyway.

7. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

I think they will be adding infrestructure to wifi tether because there are already a handful of devices listen for it as having support for infrastructure just not droid x...yet

8. MrTissues

MrTissues Well-Known Member

Doesn't Wireless Tether support MAC address controlling? That is secure.

9. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

MAC address filtering is actually incredibly insecure since MAC addresses are transmitted in plaintext over the air, and are extremely easy to spoof.