How to Enable Sideloading of Apps on CaptivateTips

Last Updated:

1. maerlim

maerlim Well-Known Member

It almost seems like you have your phone set up for USB Mass Storage, which locks the SD cards for use only by the computer. You need to make sure you haven't mounted the SD cards to your computer and that USB Debugging is turned on.

rnj79 likes this.
  2. Pinetree09

Pinetree09 Active Member

This is probably a stupid question, but when I type in adb shell and hit enter, it says device offline, how do I make it "online"?
  3. maerlim

Make sure you have the USB drivers installed for your PC, and turn on USB Debugging on the phone.
  4. Pinetree09

Pinetree09 Active Member

I've done both of those, but I still get "device offline"
  5. YellowGT0

YellowGT0 Well-Known Member

I think hes doing it on a Mac. Does that change anything? You don't have PC or Bootcamp?
  6. Pinetree09

Pinetree09 Active Member

Are you implying I own a Mac? That offends me :(

Anyways, nah, I'm using a PC, win7, etc.
  7. lilo

lilo Well-Known Member

Here is how Samsung support site tells to do this:

1. Download and install the latest Android SDK from the Android Developer or click here. (For easy of access, it is recommend to extract to local host root (C:))
    2. Download and install the Java Developer Kit (JDK) from Sun or click here.
    3. Download and install the latest Android Developer Bridge (ADB) driver located click here.
    4. Enable USB Debugging under Settings>Applications>Development
    5. The installation file should have an extension of .APK, if properly compiled. Place the application in the tools directory, i.e. (C:\android\tools)
    6. Using the command prompt, go to the tools the folder (i.e cd\android\tools)
    7. Type in ADB Install .APK
    8. The ADB tool should now report the application to be installed. To verify, tap on Applications on the device and locate the name of the application.

URL: How Do I Side Load Applications On My SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone Using The Android Debugging Bridge (ADB)?
  8. YellowGT0

Hahaha sorry, I thought you were the same guy I was talking to before. I would be Offended also.
  9. Darkeligos

Darkeligos Well-Known Member

Nevermind, getting it.
  10. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

Make sure SD card is mounted to phone, not computer. In notification bar make sure you dismount SD card from comp before trying this.
  11. mjgunn

mjgunn Active Member

Edit: Got it working
  12. Pinetree09

Pinetree09 Active Member

hmm, now I get "error: more than one device and emulator" when i type in adb shell and hit enter

edit: did adb devices and it shows the phone twice, both offline :/
  13. YellowGT0

Are you going down to the windows tray and right click and disconnecting your Galaxy S before you unplug it?
  14. Pinetree09

Pinetree09 Active Member

Nah, but now it's just saying device offline...again
  15. Drazzamatazz

Drazzamatazz Active Member

Noob and Mac I just follow the directions entering everything into Terminal? Nothing seems to happen when I do that, is there some special script I need or some step I'm missing?
    Thanks for the help.
  16. Drazzamatazz

Drazzamatazz Active Member

Logging on to a PC, upon entering "cd to SDK install directory" I get "The system cannot find the path specificed."
    I know I have SDK as its open....but did I somehow install it wrong?
  17. Darkeligos

Darkeligos Well-Known Member

For anyone having trouble with devices being offline or not working, try running this first and then retry your command.

Code (Text):
    1. adb kill-server

You have to learn how to use the cd command if you are typing that out word for word. Supposed my tools folder is in C:\users\Darkeligos\SDK\tools -- I could either do one of the two:

Code (Text):
    1. cd C:\users\Darkeligos\SDK\tools
    3. or
    5. cd \
    6. cd users
    7. cd Darkeligos
    8. cd SDK
    9. cd tools
  18. Bedub

Bedub New Member

My phone is doing this too. I can get to the recovery console, but no matter the case it seems to stop loading at the point where the Galaxy S logo is displayed.

When I try the adb shell it now tells me I have no devices attached.

Any ideas on how to get it going again?
  19. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Well-Known Member

20. kbarsi

kbarsi New Member

I've got to be missing something. I can't find:

"Scroll down to ID 6, "install_non_market_apps". Double-click."

I don't see anything called ID 6 under Tables/secure. I only see _id, name, and value. Am I in the wrong section?
  21. kbarsi

kbarsi New Member

Never mind. I didn't see the tabs.
  22. Tadi

Tadi New Member

I have tried reinstalling BusyBox numerous times and I am still receiving "cp: not found". Does anyone have a fix or maybe an alternative?

Edit: My phone is in debug mode
  23. maerlim

Maybe if you copy-paste what you're doing into a post it'll help us help you. Start with where you cd into your android sdk tools directory and copy-paste everything in the cmd window.
  24. YellowGT0

You have to install it on the phone not on the computer. That was the mistake I made.
  25. coldkiller

coldkiller Member

Ok.... got the phone rooted and db set to 1. No how do i install a app for example a game. I downloaded a zip file. Do I put in on the SD card and run a app to install? Which app???

Thanks for all who have contributed to these fourms!!!!!