• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to ensure I have LTE (4G) active on the handset when I am in an LTE area?

does anyone know if there will be some kind of notice on the phone when we are using lte.you know like the little 3g thing that blinks on the menue at the top?i was just wondering so i would know if it is on 3g or lte. my area is supposes to have lte next sunday and wanted to be able to tell what network i would be on.thanks

Upvote 0
Pardon the fuzzy jpegs from the Sprint User Guide. Look to the Status Bar for these icons.

4gavailable.jpg
4gavailable.jpg

Sprint 4G LTE Network is available

htcevo4glteuserguidepdf.jpg
htcevo4glteuserguidepdf.jpg

Sprint 4G LTE Network available and active (with icon animation)

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Does anyone know if there will be some kind of notice on the phone when we are using LTE?

You know like the little 3G thing that blinks on the menu at the top?

I was just wondering so I would know if it is on 3G or LTE. My area is supposed to have LTE next Sunday and wanted to be able to tell what network I would be on.

Thanks

Yes, there is an icon in the notification bar just like there is for 3G :)
See below (From the User Guide Page 25):

attachment.php

To ensure you are able to access 4G LTE you will want to verify/set your mobile networks for it by going to: Settings -> Mobile Network -> Network Mode -> LTE/CDMA

Once the LTE network is available, and you have your Mobile Network toggled on, you will automatically connect to it with priority over 3G.

Attachments

• 4G.jpg
    4G.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 364
Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I think we have a problem with LTE on the EVO. Side by side tonite in a known good LTE area with my wifes Gnex, the Gnex connected immediately, and my EVO stayed in 3G. I confirmed I was in CDMA/LTE mode, but switched to CDMA only, then back to CDMA/LTE and poof, 4G. Also, when we neared the end of the LTE range, mine dropped long before the Gnex. I have stumbled across others in another forum with same issue.

I'm beginning to rethink that S3. Anybody else have the same issue? The good news I have to report is that when I'm on it, I got over 18M down. 3G off that same tower blows though. See pic...

EVOLTEMallofGA.jpg

Upvote 0
Interesting. Before we try to start counting chickens, is there any chance that you can replicate the experiment and provide some 'data' for us while trying to limit variables?

Can you connect to LTE on each handset, one at a time (don't place phones near eachother), with all other radios off.

Then go to Settings -> About Phone -> Network Info -> Signal Strength
(this may be different or only in back end menus on the Sprint Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE)

And notate the approximate signal strength on each phone by itself from the same position. Lay the phone down so that you will hopefully interfere less with the signal transmission/reception. Also get readouts from different distances from the tower. More or less, a strong signal area and weak signal area.

I found this article particularly enlightening in regards to deciphering the "new" 4G approximate signal strength read outs in comparison to 'regular'/'old' (2G/3G) approximate signal strength read outs.
RSSI vs RSRP: A Brief LTE Signal Strength Primer - S4GRU

If you are adventurous, or want to go one step further, download and try Open Signal Maps for more options in data gathering. It can help you possibly locate the tower(s) and help determine the distance to the tower (though I'm not sure how/if Open Signal works for reading 4G).

Even doing everything I've mentioned we can still not draw any clear cut conclusions. And like RX mentioned, the network is not fully operational yet so this is all more or less silly.

Upvote 0
I think we have a problem with LTE on the EVO. Side by side tonite in a known good LTE area with my wifes Gnex, the Gnex connected immediately, and my EVO stayed in 3G. I confirmed I was in CDMA/LTE mode, but switched to CDMA only, then back to CDMA/LTE and poof, 4G. Also, when we neared the end of the LTE range, mine dropped long before the Gnex. I have stumbled across others in another forum with same issue.

I'm beginning to rethink that S3. Anybody else have the same issue? The good news I have to report is that when I'm on it, I got over 18M down. 3G off that same tower blows though. See pic...

I noticed the same thing on my LTEVO. My brother has the same phone and his automatically connects to the 4G network, but I have to toggle the settings to CDMA only then back to CDMA/LTE for my phone to connect to the 4G network.

Upvote 0
I have tried 4 different LTEVO's and it rarely connects to LTE my S3 connects no problem I work on cell sites so I know there is coverage but the evo will not switch also pandora will not work on cellular data only wifi there is defiantly a switching issue in the phone or the radio has an issue

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones