How-To: Eris (well, ANY phone really) Car MountGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Zerethusta

Zerethusta Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The one thing I miss more than ANYTHING about my Palm Pre is the touchstone. Basically a 2

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. Baldguy

Baldguy Well-Known Member

Nice work!!! I have a whole shop full of aluminum and sheet metal and have never thought of making a phone holder.
    I was thinking of using plastic dip to put a final touch to your design. That would ensure a snug, scratch-less finish. Probably better then paint. I am so dieing to get a good phone holder for my Eris. Sick and tired of holding the damn thing on my lap!

3. Zerethusta

Thanky. :)

I had considered plastic dip, but I've only used the rubber stuff for screwdriver handles etc., and wasn't sure how thick the stuff ends up being. Also, the TPU is slightly grippy, so glossy enamel/lacquer finishes will allow it to slide in and out easily, whereas a rubberized finish i would expect to make it difficult. If I could coat it in something like the material from the back of the phone, or Seidio's material they use for the innocase, that would be perfect, however my local hobby shop doesn't have that kind of stuff and I have no idea where to find it.

4. mattjphoto

mattjphoto Well-Known Member

Im going to try to make a holder on Thursday bc it's my day off.

5. hob0d4n

hob0d4n Well-Known Member

haha anyone wanna make one and ill buy it off ya :D

6. astrostrat89

astrostrat89 Well-Known Member

anyone notice it kinda looks like the Droid mascot?

7. Baldguy

Baldguy Well-Known Member

Honestly, I cant believe that a manufacturer has not made a real good holder yet for the Eris. Lots of money to be made out there. Really sick of seeing 5 million accessories for a the Iphone and 2 for the Eris. I am with hob0d4n...I would buy one off ya. Just needs a paint job and a nice smooth clear coat and we are hope free!!! :D

8. dgould

dgould Member

Nice, me I am too lazy for all of that work. I drive an 18 wheeler and just used a velcro square on my verizon holster and stuck it to the dash. Works for me.

9. mattjphoto

I used your plans to make my own. I added a vent holder to the back so it's next to my radio so I can hook it up to it.

Did you mount a cable to the bottom of yours? I'm trying to figure out how to permanently mount a cable. I also folded up the ends of the feet so it won't slide out.

10. Zerethusta

I don't like vent mounts, especially since Styrene does NOT have a high melting/forming point, and if the heat is on I could easily see it just drooping into a mess.

I didn't figure out a way to mount the mini usb plug to the bottom, I don't have the tools to measure exactly where it'd need to be, or the tools to accurately mount it there, so I just have space for it to plug in.

The feet on mine DO come out at 90 degrees, but I didn't form them around a dowel as the sides already keep the depth stable, plus getting a dowel in there would've been a major pain with the sides already done, or made the sides a major pain with the feet already done.

Actually considering using model paints to color it like the android guy. Already have lime green for the airbrush from the Kawasaki Ninja model kit I made of my bike, but I'm unsure how well the paint bends. May have to drop by hobby shop and talk to the guy about it.

Wouldn't exactly match the interior, but as the female friend I mentioned it to said, "Aww, that'd be so CUTE!"

11. mattjphoto

I live in St. Louis so in the summer it gets really hot here...I think it would melt then too. :D

12. Zerethusta

Hehe, I live in Washington, so the heater gets turned on QUITE hot here. Some months yet before I have to worry about the exterior temperature causing problems.

I am going to order up a sheet or two of kydex and try it out of that. Much higher melting point and quite durable. May even wrap my phone in saran wrap and make a mold, then do a nice close form. Now if only I knew somewhere local to get kydex and what to expect pricewise. I don't do well with waiting, as you guys can probably tell. As a tester/prototype the styrene is holding up quite well so far. Haven't done any SERIOUS spirited driving, but I'm quite happy except for the heat issue. May line interior with craft foam so it's a slightly more snug fit, but all in all I'm quite happy with it.

13. mattjphoto