• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to exclude folders in gallery?

pose

May 30, 2010
How do I exclude temp folders, media thumbnails etc. showing up in my photo gallery?

I've seen some options mentioned here and elsewhere: adding a folder called .nomedia as a solution, but I have several folders which look like temp folders with names like gfui532jkntui9 which can't be found on my un-rooted Xperia S. Also, there is Gallery Excluder, which has reviews making me very wary of even trying it.

There must be a native, built-in solution in Android, right?

I've read that quick pic allows you to choose which folders to hide from the gallery.
I prefer to put a period in front of the directory name.

Quick pic works, but it dumps all the pictures in one massive list, and ignores sub-folders :(

Found a decent work-around: instead of creating images/travel and images/snapshots etc., I created a top-level travel and snapshots folders, and added them separately. That way they show up as folders in Quick Pic, and with the app I can exclude useless folders.

Still can't believe this hasn't been fixed in the two years I've had an Android phone..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones