• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to extend screen lock timeout?

ktchong

Android Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2010
How do I extend the timeout for screen lock?

I'd like to have to enter my security pattern/PIN/Password not immediately after pressing the standby button, but only after some interval like 30 minutes or longer.

The phone constantly turns off and locks the screen after like 5 seconds, and I can't seem to change the default setting for screen lock timeout. It is getting very annoying.

I'd like to have to enter my security pattern/PIN/Password not immediately after pressing the standby button, but only after some interval like 30 minutes or longer.

The phone constantly turns off and locks the screen after like 5 seconds, and I can't seem to change the default setting for screen lock timeout. It is getting very annoying.

I do not want change the screen timeout.

I want to change the screen lock timeout.

You want to lengthen the SECURITY SCREEN DISPLAY TIME?

It sounds like you are saying after you press the standby button (to come out of standby) then you want the pin/security pattern/password box to DISPLAY for 30 minutes? :thinking: or longer?

That defeats the purpose of standby, when not plugged in. Because you are using the display. Burns the battery.

Stay with me here. I'm about to explain sort of how to do what you want. The only way to do what you want is to FIRST enable the option to disable automatic standby when the phone is plugged in. Stay with me! (Yes, the display will stay on) Then plug the phone in. Then manually turn on standby by hitting the standby button. Then COME OUT of manual standby by hitting the standby button again.

At that point, the security screen will STAY ON indefinitely until you do something. After a short while it will dim, but it will still be on and visible.

But that only works for when you are plugged in.
======

I know you said you didn't want this, but you can also lengthen the time the display stays on when not plugged in, so that when you set the phone down to do something else it doesn't immediately turn the display off.

=======

but when not plugged in, there's no way to lengthen the time of the security display.

If you don't plan to enter your pin/password/security pattern, WHY do you need to have the security display on for 30 minutes or longer? Why can't the screen just stay black and save the battery?

Upvote 0
He means how to extend the time from when his screen turns off to the point where he turns it back on without having to enter the password. Try screen timeout its in the market it might work

So, he wants the phone to go into standby and be able to reactivate it WITHOUT REQUIRING A PASSWORD, for at least 30 minutes? Then if it stays in standby for like over 30 minutes, THEN he wants it to require a password?

Upvote 0
Yeah, i think that's what he's asking.

then this sounds like what he wants:

Description
Set a password delay so the password is not needed when you quickly unlock again

Password Delay Full
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.willemstoker.PasswordDelay&feature=related_apps

ss-320-0-10

I just did a google search. :rolleyes:

other similar apps don't work with gingerbread or froyo. this one does not state any restrictions.

Reactions: ktchong
Upvote 0
then this sounds like what he wants:

Password Delay Full
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.willemstoker.PasswordDelay

I just did a google search. :rolleyes:

other similar apps don't work with gingerbread or froyo. this one does not state any restrictions.
Thanks. That is what I was looking for, but I ended up buying Delayed Lock instead, which is a similar app that I found under the "Users who viewed this also viewed" section of Password Delay. Delayed Lock is more polished and also handles pattern lock screen. Now I only have to unlock my phone once every twelve hours instead of every five seconds.

Upvote 0
Ok, I have a little different issue but it is related to this.

I want to extend the time I get to enter my unlock pattern. It is very frustrating, I have to rush and even like this, It times out before I can complete the pattern entry.

Is there a way to extend the "pattern entry time/time-out" on the screen lock pattern screen?

Upvote 0
Ok, I have a little different issue but it is related to this.

I want to extend the time I get to enter my unlock pattern. It is very frustrating, I have to rush and even like this, It times out before I can complete the pattern entry.

Is there a way to extend the "pattern entry time/time-out" on the screen lock pattern screen?

For that try setting up screen timeout for a longer time ...

Upvote 0
want to resurrect this because Id like to know how to extend my LOCK SCREEN TIMEOUT

meaning, if the phone is off and I turn on the phone WITHOUT unlocking it, the screen will turn off within 5 seconds. if I use my password and get in the phone it will stay 1 minute because I configured that in the settings. unfortunately for the lock screen its only 5 seconds and want to extend it longer. yes im aware it wears the battery, thank you

HTC ONE M7 lollipop

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rocketman, I came to this forum because with Lollipop when I pressed the standby button to bring up the login screen (security pin) if you don't touch a key within 2 secs the screen goes dark again. I found in another forum that if you turn off Power saving the lock screen timeout is much longer. Mine is now 10 secs. To make the change, Settings, Scroll down to My device, Power saving mode. Turn that off and enjoy more time on your lock screen. I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 with newly installed Lollipop from Verizon.

Upvote 0

There is actually a much better way to do this, and I can't believe no one has posted this for you. You did not have to buy an app, or any of that goofy stuff. If you go into settings, then security, you will see a section for "Screen Lock", click it. It will ask you for your password. After inputting your password you will have several options. You should select "None". The screen lock will never appear again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones