• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Fix Motorola Droid Bionic Screen

This written repair guide will show you in taking apart your Motorola Droid Bionic XT865 / XT875 as well as replacing damaged or broken parts on your phone.

This guide will help you install the following Motorola Droid Bionic part (s):
  • Motorola Droid Bionic XT865 Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • Motorola Droid Bionic XT865 LCD Screen Replacement
  • Motorola Droid Bionic XT875 LCD Screen Replacement

Tools Required:
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Torx T5 Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips
  • Heat Gun/Hair Dryer

Motorola Droid Bionic take apart repair guide:
  • First step is to release the back battery cover to have access to the back of the device. Remove the battery, the sim card, and the memory card.
  • Next, peel back the battery adhesive tag. Leave it connected, however make sure no adhesive is attached to the motherboard.
  • Using T5 Torx Screwdriver, remove the eleven (11) screws around the perimeter of the back housing.

bionic-1a.jpg

Figure 1​
  • Using safe pry tool, cautiously pry along the edges of the back housing. Release the clips and remove the back housing.

bionic-2a.jpg

Figure 2​
  • Disconnect the three (3) pop flex cables located on the left side of the motherboard.
  • At the top sim board, remove the two (2) T5 Torx screws. Cautiously remove together with a black plastic backing.
  • Disconnect the final connection for the front camera.

bionic-3a.jpg

Figure 3​
  • Next, remove cautiously the motherboard from the screen assembly.
  • Release the two (2) touchscreen flex cables from the LCD screen. Be careful as they are very fragile and held in place with adhesive.
  • Remove the LCD screen from the touchscreen with front housing using a safe pry tool.

bionic-4a.jpg

Figure 4​
  • Remove the ear speaker flex cable from the front housing.
  • Heat the front edges of the screen to soften the held adhesive using hair dryer or hair gun to remove the touchscreen digitizer from the front housing. Use quick movements for about 45 seconds.
  • Carefully separate the glass from the front housing using a safe pry tool.
  • Be cautious of the touch screen flex cables, as they are slotted through the front housing.
  • You can now change the touchscreen digitizer or any internal parts on your Droid Bionic.

Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.

Are both LCD screens compatible or do I need to right version?

according to this thread:
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/586027-xt865-vs-xt875-lcd-screen-help.html

it isn't. I'd get the correct one to be sure.

I went through this a couple weeks ago and was successful. As some added help I used:
this Youtube video

I also ordered a roll of this adhesive and these tools. from wireless finest (same seller for both so they came in same package). The screen I ordered came with tools too but I wasn't sure it would so I wanted to be safe. If you do order from Amazon, I'd look for a US seller to avoid any delays from a hong kong order (the lowest price listed).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones