How to "Fix" the 50% dreaded bug issue on almost all android devices.

Last Updated:

1. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I made a post about LG Ally having this issue a few days ago and I've done heavy research on this issue since then and found that pretty much all 2.1 devices have this issue. Yes google is aware of it and I've seen topics where verizon and htc said that they were aware of it too and all 3 companies are working to fix it and push an update. I tested a "fix" to this issue and it seems to work. I don't know if it's permanent but so far my Ally is not showing this issue so let's get to fixing.

How to find out if your android device has this:
    --Go to [Settings>About Phone>Battery Use>Cell Standby (if you don't have cell standby in there than you don't have this issue, but if you do doesn't mean you have it, keep reading)>if your time without service is above 50% than you have the bug.]

The fix that I've been testing:
    --Open dial pad and dial *#*#4636#*#* (If Testing menu doesn't come up than click "Call" and it will come up)>Go to Phone information>Scroll down and you'll see preferred network type>click it and switch it to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

Now your issues should start going away and the time without service will slowly start decreasing. For the first few hours my time without service stayed at about 11% but than dropped to 0% in 24 hours.... You might need to do that step a few times before your phone makes that option a default one. Your phone might try to change preferred network type so check it every 2-3 hours on the first day.

Advertisement
  2. Alberto_jr

Alberto_jr Active Member

What does this fix? Or what does the bug do to your phone ?

3. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Almost all Android devices? What? I've never heard of it.

4. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Me niether. I don't even have this menu.

5. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If you dont have this menu or never heard of it than you dont have the issue =), you would know if you had it

6. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

I have a cell standby (at 16%) but never had any time without service. Then again I an constantly switching between GSM Only & WCDMA Only because of another bug related to Acer Liquid Eclair. Could this be the reason the bug has never affected me?

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

7. HustlinDaily

Oh wow, just clicked cell standby and it says my time without a signal is 50%. Did not even notice. Wtf.

8. HustlinDaily

Thanks for the fix but I can't use it because there is a bug in my Eclair bin which causes it to freeze when switching between 2G and 3G when in standby (official Acer bin not officially released by Acer, a leak). And AT&T reception is so bad, I get 3G in my bedroom but not my kitchen (it is very strong throughout the Houston area but not my house). As a result, I have to force 2G or 3G and cannot allow it to auto switch. What should I do?

9. itbedave

itbedave Well-Known Member

Just tried this on my wife's Eris - will let you know how it works.

10. th1969

th1969 Member

just tried on ally. I will check in a little bit to see if it work

11. Tslide91

Tslide91 Well-Known Member

Im on froyo on my mytouch 4g, and I think I have that bug. Sometimes I lose service at my house (where I normally get full signal) and a reboot gives me service back.

I just tried the new setting, we'll see how she goes ;)

12. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Well-Known Member

A reboot for that issue maybe a bit extreme, normaly a toggle on/off to airplane mode will reset the radio.

13. techrider62

techrider62 Well-Known Member

my streak is at 1% without a signal so i guess i'm good

14. kmf

kmf Well-Known Member

I am somewhere between 11 and 18 percent. I tried the above 'fix" and nothing happened at all. Samsung Mesmerize USCC

15. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

This bug is nothing, my eris said that for four months and battery life is un affected. I remember obsessing about it too in the leak days and many agree it meant nothing. Bad timer is all.