How to fix the Galaxy S4 Lag!Support

Last Updated:

1. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Ditto on my HTC Jellybean (but I've always quashed animations).

I'll mention for those unfamiliar - the way to get lag creeping up on you over time in Android - too many text messages. If you never clear them out, they will start eating away at your overall response time.

No big deal on a new device, just a fun fact to tuck away for a rainy day. ;)

Advertisement
    tommy_ed likes this.
  2. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

I did not know that. I archived them on my computer and then deleted over 600 SMS messages.
  3. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

I was always having lag on the home screen for some reason, it would stutter sometimes. So, I decided to try another launcher. I've always used Apex Launcher but I decided to give Nova Launcher a try. Sure enough, no lag on the home screen. Maybe Apex Launcher was a source of a lot of the lag on my phone.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  4. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Honestly when I had my GS3 the first thing I noticed was annoying lag. As someone posted here above...S Voice is a definite culprit and can bog the phone down.

Anyway after I disabled it on my GS3 my lag disappeared ...may be worth a try on you guys with the GS4.
  5. Running on stock anr I get no lag at all.
  6. Kane860

Kane860 Well-Known Member

I have a lot more lag than "slight" lag.. the lag is very annoying.. I can be typing a text and the keyboard lags.. it gets like 8 or 9 letters behind and then catches up... the whole phone lags.. this is my first android phone ever as I was an iphone user for years... in this category, iPhone has much less lag..
  7. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

Just make the changes and never look back, you will be hard pressed to notice the difference but will most definitely notice the lag gone. This will get fixed in future firmware you can be sure as it is already fixed in several of the available roms where you can have the animations without any lag. The thing is dont be surprised if after becoming accustomed to moving as fast as you can click that those animations have become annoying speedbumps and you will disable them anyways.
  8. gs32013

gs32013 Member

just got my gs4 and it seems to be extremely laggy. about 5 seconds or longer. this is definitely an issue. any ideas?
  9. gs32013

gs32013 Member

thank you so much. big difference. proud to own the s4 again
  10. gs32013

gs32013 Member

helped for a bit. still laggy though. my s3 was way faster :(
  11. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

Join the club, we are impatiently waiting for a firmware update to fix this. :D

Where are you based btw? the US versions have already got an update that fixes or at least reduces this lag.
  12. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

gs, I merged your thread with the lag thread. :)
  13. gs32013

gs32013 Member

I'm in arizona with t-mobile
  14. josborne6

josborne6 Well-Known Member

15. gs32013

gs32013 Member

thanks
  16. gs32013

gs32013 Member

anybody know when an update will come to fix the lag on t-mobile?
  17. EarlyMon

18. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

There was an update for T-Mobile on May 7. You can get it OTA on your phone or through Kies. If you already have that one, there hasn't been another.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  19. EarlyMon

I didn't see that one. :p

Wonder if we ought to merge those two threads then?
    Atma likes this.
  20. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

So it is written. So shall it be done.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  21. gs32013

gs32013 Member

But, do you know if their will be another update to fix the lag? i really don't want to return the gs4
  22. EarlyMon

The lag that others are talking about has been addressed.

Maybe if you could share specifically what you're noticing and how you're encountering it, hopefully others can give tips on dealing with it.
  23. gs32013

gs32013 Member

heavy lagging when texting, switching apps, using the dialer, just takes literally more than 3 seconds to catch up to what my finger is doing