[How to] Fix Your Crackling DINC Speaker!Tips

Last Updated:

1. uber_mike

uber_mike Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Think the speaker in your DINC is blown? Think again! I just did this at work today after suffering through the horrible sound of another "blown" speaker and now it works perfectly!

From what I have found, the crackly speaker is NOT because it is blown, but rather tiny metal shavings that come from god knows where and get themselves through the screen and magnetically attach themselves to the speaker. This causes something in the speaker to go awry and causes crackling.

The solution? A more powerful magnet for the shavings to get attracted to! This removes them from the speaker and lets the sound play in all of its beauty again!

You need,

1 Powerful magnet
    1 Dinc with crackling speaker

First, remove the batter cover.

Then take off the screen that is over the speaker.

Now take your magnet and hover it close to the speaker. Move it around a bit and try not to touch the speaker surface. Looking at the magnet, you should see small metal particles on it.

After that, take you magnet and get any particles out of the speaker screen.

Replace the screen and battery cover

Play some music and enjoy!

If it didn't work, you may need to try a more powerful magnet. If still nothing, your speaker may actually be blown and you will have to take your phone into Verizon. Also, you will probably have to calibrate you compass after doing this because the magnet throws the compass out of whack.

Good Luck!

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

One caveat I can think of for this is to turn off your phone and remove the SD card. SD cards do NOT like magnets - if the magnet gets to close it will corrupt/destroy the data on the card. In fact I'd suggest being very careful to not get the magnet near any part of the phone other than the speaker.

3. mole644

mole644 Active Member

how do you get the screen off from over the speaker? Sure looks like its just glued on, and once removed it wont be easily put back.

4. aleka9230

aleka9230 Member

good call ive been dealing with that speaker this whole time cause i didnt want to get a refurb from verizon. i had a feeling it had something to do with those little metal shavings just dint think about using a stronger magnet to get that out. and what do you know it actually worked

5. uber_mike

uber_mike Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was able to get mine off and stick it back on no problem

Glad to hear it worked for you. I'm surprised verizon/htc haven't done anything as to this simple solution. It would sure be cheaper than refurbishing.

6. mole644

mole644 Active Member

whats the best way to remove it?

7. tkim6599

tkim6599 Member

Busting the Biggest PC Myths - PCWorld

Fortunately, most modern storage devices, such as SD and CompactFlash memory cards, are immune to magnetic fields. "There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

8. mole644

mole644 Active Member

So i got the cover off, used the magnet on it and it didnt help a bit. I guess mine is actually blown.

9. Az Scooter

Az Scooter Well-Known Member

I did not even bother with the screen. I do a significant amount of welding and grinding. I just brushed the shavings off with my shirt.

10. shred1

shred1 Well-Known Member

The magnet thing worked pretty well. I already am on my second Incredible due to crackling speaker.I'm a welder so metal shavings are everywhere.I used the magnet out of an old hard drive,they are very strong. I have also ordered a couple replacement speaker from ebay.Nokia 6300 speakers work in the Inc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O8OmRtyrZA&feature=player_embedded

11. mole644

mole644 Active Member

Only thing with that is it voids your warranty. I will do that eventually, but I can deal with the speaker for now. My luck, I void my warranty fixing the speaker and something else breaks. I'd just take it back, but I dont want a replacement with an SLCD screen.