How to folks keep their SD card data secure?Support

1. desperado

desperado Well-Known Member

I use an electronic wallet for my secure data but how do you keep all the other files on your sd card safe. Since the card is formated with fat32 and can be inserted into any memory reader locking the phone doesn't help.

Are there any apps for security?
    A TrueCrypt port would be nice

If you root the phone can you partition the card with ext4 and make the files secure (but not encrypted so not sure this helps).

Advertisement
    :
  2. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member

I'm not positive on this, but I think you can create a password for all storage devices on your phone. If you go to memory, and go down to SD card, or hit menu, there should be an option to secure external SD card. Let me know if you see it there, i dont have the phone near me, but i could have swore it's there.

edit, moving to support forum for more views and more help.
  3. desperado

I didn't find any I looked in Settings->Security and Settings->SD & phone storage on my DINC with froyo OTA stock OS.
  4. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member

You're right, that's a credentials password and I thought it was for the SD card. There a few apps out there that disguise themselves as something else (like a flashlight) but really have hidden files in them. But I think you're looking more fr a password to come up whenever someone access the SD card in some way shape or form.

I use an app called hide n seek and i put all of my sensitive docs in there, which gives me some peace just in case i lose my phone. they are stored on the phone and not the card but i only store a few very important or sensitive pictures/documents in there and they wont be found i'm sure of it. And it lets you password protect files.
  5. desperado

Interesting, not really what I wanted but might be interesting to try. Tasker is such a full featured app I don't know if I want such a heavy app for such a simple task.

What I really want is something like TrueCrypt where you can mount an encrypted directory and unmount it on demand.