• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force 2/2/2010 OTA Update

Fabolous

Superuser
Nov 7, 2009
Illinois
fabdroid.com
The procedure:

1. obtain the update.zip file
2. reboot into the bootloader
3. select recovery
4. apply sdcard:update.zip

Specifics

Obtain the file from here:

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/passion/signed-passion-ERE27-from-ERD79.a487b405.zip -Thanks Fabolous

OR

signed-passion-ERE27-from-ERD79.a487b405.zip - Thanks DEMO_BURN

ONLY IF YOU ARE ROOTED AND HAVE AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER, get the file from here:
http://android.modaco.com/content/g...d-and-unrooted-optional-radio-optional-himem/ - Thanks FLT

-Rename the file to update.zip (in Windows, just rename to update - it is already a zip file)

-Make sure the update.zip file is on the root of your sdcard (not in any folders)

-To reboot into the bootloader, turn off the phone. Then power on while holding down the trackball.

Navigate to the option 'recovery' using the volume up/down keys - Thanks peader

When the Android w/ caution logo pops up, hold down the power button then press volume up (while still holding down power) - Thanks FLT

Select 'apply sdcard:update.zip'

Thanks chief99 for the bootloader specific instructions.

Enjoy!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ

-Does this work on any other phones besides the Nexus One? Absolutely not! Do not do it!

-Will this void my warranty? How do I know it's legit? No, this won't void your warranty. The source above is the exact location that people who legitimately got the OTA update downloaded their update.zip files from. Also, after the update has been applied, it is impossible to distinguish between those that got it OTA or forced it.

-Does this wipe my settings or applications? No, the update only touches your system files and radio. All your apps and settings will be preserved!

-If I force update with this method, will I still receive an OTA update? No, once you've updated, you will not get any further notices to update.

-If I'm in an unofficial country (not launched by Google yet) with an unlocked N1, will I still get the update OTA? I'm not certain yet, but as confirmed by many users, this update will work on your phone. There is no danger is forcing the update, rather than waiting for Google to (maybe) push it out to you.

-Will this method work if I have a rooted N1 with unlocked bootloader? No, you'll have to download a modified version of the update file (link above) that will not break your root access.

-It's 'frozen' at a picture of an Android, and arrow, and a box. Is my phone bricked?! No, you're okay. Just be patient as the update is doing it's thing.

Directions, as provided by FLT

FLT said:

FIRST: make sure you have enough battery, this update can brick your device since it overwrites the radio!!

SECOND: this method is for devices with LOCKED bootloader!

1. Get the update from Google: http://android.clients.go...7-from-ERD79.a487b405.zip
  2. Put the update on your SD card & rename it to update.zip
  3. Boot in recovery mode (hold down trackball + power)
  4. Go to bootloader -> recovery
  5. Now there's a picture of a droid with a triangle
  6. Press the power button + volume up
  7. Apply sdcard:update.zip
  8. Updating
  9. Reboot system now
  10. Enjoy the multitouch
    smile.gif

Hope I've helped some people who do not want to wait any longer for the OTA!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An addendum:

For the first link, ignore the security warning. It is legitimately Google's server. They were just lazy and didn't sign the certificate or something like that.

Also, I failed to mention the features of the OTA update, they can be found here:

Nexus One | News and Updates

The highlights include pinch-zoom for Browser, Maps, and Gallery. Also, 3G reception is improved, as well as a new night mode for navigation.

Upvote 0
But how does anyone know this is the correct and final update and not a beta or other pre-release version?

Even assuming it's the final version, how do we know it's correct for all users? (different countries, carriers, etc.)

Thanks for the tips, but I think I'll wait for my phone to do it's thing itself just to be safe.

Upvote 0
But how does anyone know this is the correct and final update and not a beta or other pre-release version?

Even assuming it's the final version, how do we know it's correct for all users? (different countries, carriers, etc.)

Thanks for the tips, but I think I'll wait for my phone to do it's thing itself just to be safe.

because it was pulled from a phone that got the OTA UPDATE already

Upvote 0
Because this is the link of the OTA update. Someone found it in the phone logs after updating.

Countries/ carriers don't mather since the device is carrier free (yes even if you bought it with Tmo).

No worries I live in Belgium (where the phone isn't even available) and it hasn't exploded after the update (yet :p)

Upvote 0
because it was pulled from a phone that got the OTA UPDATE already

Yes, that Google link was acquired by reading the OTA information from a phone that had received the update already.

In other words, when your phone gets the update, it will be downloading it from the exact location that was linked to.

Also, Android has been around for a while. This has already been confirmed and done with the G1, Hero, Droid, etc. etc.

Upvote 0
I had to manually reselect tmobile as my network operator under settings -> wireless networks but after that I got data. Was pretty smooth and painless. Also data roaming was off so you might want to change that back if you had it enabled before (I did and I'm almost positive I won't get data roaming charges).

Its an awesome update. Pinch to zoom works where it said it would. It's *MUCH* faster. I think they unlocked all the ram. Boots faster, homescreen apps thing flies in noticeably faster.. and yes this is comparing to reboots before the update and its speed. Under version it says 2.1- update1 now. I also get HSDPA in my apartment (check by going to *#*#4636#*#* then phone info. It'll say it under network type.. run a ping test it seems to switch to the mode automatically after some sort of data has been sent.. my guess is to save battery life). So overall it looks great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones