• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.1 Update for the Motrola Droid (ESE81)

Ok what do i do?! I clicked the selection "apply sdcard:update.zip" and it started up, but then i got a message saying this:

--install sdcard...
finding update package
opening update package
verifying
E. failed to open/sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E. verification failed
Installation aborted

Did you make sure that update.zip is in the root of your SD card? Also, you could try downloading the zip again and make sure you got a clean download.

Upvote 0
This might be a dumb question, but what do you mean the root of my SD card?

The root would be the main folder of the SD card. It can't be in any other folders located on the SD Card. For example, if you downloaded the update.zip using your phone, the file would most likely be placed in your Download folder. You would need to move this file out to the main parent directory.

Upvote 0
I am getting the following error...can anybody help?

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

I recently unrooted from DroidMod.

Thanks!

I figured out the problem...I was navigating with the volume up/down toggle on the side of the phone and trying to use the camera button to execute the install command...this was not allowing me to install. I tried the whole process again and even though I still get the same error message (see above) I used the directional pad to execute the install command this time and it worked perfectly. Not sure what the error message means but it obviously has no bearing on the ability to install 2.1.

Upvote 0
Disclaimer.... I am no techie, but this worked for me.....

Following all above instructions on MacBook Pro, install kept failing.
(some error message related to Directories).

It looked like my MacBook was automatically un-zipping some of the file and setting up a directory structure. The phone would not install from this altered file structure.

I dusted off my old Windows laptop, downloaded the zip file in one piece, and installation was smooth.

Someone more adept with a Mac probably knows a way to change a setting and make it work.

Good Luck......JB

Upvote 0
Disclaimer.... I am no techie, but this worked for me.....

Following all above instructions on MacBook Pro, install kept failing.

(some error message related to Directories).

It looked like my MacBook was automatically un-zipping some of the file and setting up a directory structure. The phone would not install from this altered file structure.

I dusted off my old Windows laptop, downloaded the zip file in one piece, and installation was smooth.

Someone more adept with a Mac probably knows a way to change a setting and make it work.

Good Luck......JB
Were you using Safari by chance?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Yes, then use astro to move it from the downloads folder on your SD to the root of your SD. Then proceed as normal.

This is what I did, I'd recommend mentioning this in the guide so people know how to do it and that they can do it.
Your wish is my command :)

Upvote 0
Downloaded from 2 different places using the PC and one of those places from the phone. Still not getting the install to work, it's giving me a long hex code error referencing contacts.obex (or something like that) then gives me error code 7, invalid update.zip file. I'll try from home again, if that doesn't work I'll just wait, hopefully the actual OTA doesn't fail too though...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones