[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG01B | Update 1 of 2)

Last Updated:

1. kokomo22

kokomo22 New Member

Had to download the zip file 5 times before I got a clean zip file to use.
    Did seem a little slow on start up, but it did need to initialize a lot of stuff on the first start up. I'll play with it some more and see how it runs.

Thanks for the instructions Trident

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

or it may simply be taking a longer time now that more people ahve access to the update....

try waiting for like 30 minutes, then call VZW back....
  3. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

Try this.. Peter Alfonso: How To: Manually Activate A Verizon Wireless Android Phone
  4. silverspot

silverspot Member

yummy... froyo tastes pretty sweet! Thanks to all who made this possible!!

Had a problem with swype - uninstalled it and re-installed it = works perfectly now!
    Downloaded/installed the flash 10.1 beta = works great!
    Currently moving selected apps to the sd card = cool!
  5. Trident

No prob! Glad I could hep! :)
  6. johnlgalt

Yes. See this thread: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/106331-so-where-can-i-get-official-flash-player.html

I quoted you so others will see that even if the file looks good, it may not be....
  7. Trident

Nice! Glad to hear you're lovin Froyo... enjoy! :)
    silverspot likes this.
  8. cak

cak Member

Ok thanks alot for your time.
    Trident likes this.
  9. johnlgalt

You're most welcome - enjoy the new update and hope to see you around!
  10. superdude77

superdude77 New Member

Just got done install, great instructions made install a breeze! Thanks! just an FYI for some new installations, after inital start up after installing update.zip i had to do a pull to have my full menu back. My only concern thus far is that i went to the adobe site on the droid to do a test on the functionality on the update. The thing is, no flash player loaded and it showed the cube just as 2.1 did. any insight?............. answered my own question by reading previos posts! read read read! lol
  11. ian.alex

ian.alex Member

Thanks for the files and the info!

Everything's running great for me. I downloaded the flash beta and it is screaming.

I do notice however that many apps are not showing up in the market. Skype, Testtube and flash. That leads me to believe there are more missing as well.

If this is the official OTA, then are apps missing for those who get it from VZ? Seems kind of strange that this many apps would be missing as VZ is rolling out system wide.

Thoughts?
  12. ForensicDroid1

ForensicDroid1 New Member

My first post here....popped my cherry with the new 2.2. Installed and looking good. Thanks!
  13. johnlgalt

Try rebooting again, and then see if they show up. They should, b/c they are shwoing in my BB 0.4 build....
  14. Bobo

Bobo Active Member

Everything seems good. I already like how it is updating 8 apps with 1 click. 1 with a permission that changed has to be done manually. Nice. Thanks!! Now to find Flash.:)
  15. flyboyron

flyboyron New Member

"This thread explains how to force the official Android 2.2 Froyo update to your Motorola Droid."
    Trident,

Can't thank you enough for this thread and the info you posted. Just did this on my Droid and it works like a champ! I'm up and running 2.2 after about 20 minutes, without a hitch.

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to make it so easy for those of us less technically savvy!
  16. Trident

No problem! Glad I could help! :)

Enjoy Froyo!!!
  17. zylogz80

zylogz80 New Member

OK, this was a complete pain but I finally got it working. I was running the leaked 2.2 from a few months ago rooted. I use Linux, specifically Fedora 13, but the following should work on any Linux box (within reason):

1. Download sbf_flash:
    OPTICALDELUSION: sbf_flash

2. Download stock 2.1u1 sbf. File name is VZW_A855_ESE81_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.03P_SW_UPDATE_02.sbf
    md5 sum is 06e79f8d0810be281e8afbbd9be7442c
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

3. Boot your Droid into bootloader mode:
    3-A : shut down
    3-B: hold down d-pad up and Power until old school white text appears
    3-C: Plug your phone in to the computer

4. Make sbf_flash executable and run it:
    $ chmod a+x sbf_flash
    $ sudo ./sbf_flash VZW_A855_ESE81_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.03P_SW_UPDATE_02.sbf

That should run, take a while, and reboot. Don't unplug or lose power. If something goes wrong google it, pray, whatever.

When the phone boots back up you'll be stock no-BS 2.1u1. Then download update.zip, reboot into recovery mode, apply the update, and your good.
    cbosch12 likes this.
  18. jeter10

jeter10 Member

This is very cool! Thanks for the update information! I love it! Now I just have to navigate the system and figure this stuff out.

Thanks again!:D
  19. liam.

liam. Member

new member, sorry i know the first post should be a into post but just wanted to say thanks for the update. Ive been on the fence for rooting so long and now this, was just about to do Easy Root but it wasnt working, saw this over on droidforums.net

Thanks again guys!
  20. jeter10

jeter10 Member

Is there any posts where we can find some cool apps for this new update? Specifically the touch screen keyboard / letters and numbers on one screen and not having to switch back and forth...

I'll continue to read the posts but I thought I'd put it out there.

Thanks!:D
  21. Borntu

Borntu Active Member

Nice job. Thanks!!!
  22. ovenman

ovenman Active Member

[​IMG]Here is the error it keeps giving me

[​IMG]
  23. Coppish

Coppish New Member

johnlgalt likes this.
  24. ian.alex

ian.alex Member

Good idea, but no luck. Is everyone else seeing Skype in their market place after applying the update? I even had skype text me the link to download from their site and it said it's not in the market.

I checked my wife's Droid Incredible with 2.1 and it's there. Not so for me.

Please post if anyone else can either find skype in the market, or is having market issues other than flash.
  25. ian.alex

ian.alex Member

Good idea, but no luck. Is everyone else seeing Skype in their market place after applying the update? I even had skype text me the link to download from their site and it said it's not in the market.

I checked my wife's Droid Incredible with 2.1 and it's there. Not so for me.

Please post if anyone else can either find skype in the market, or is having market issues other than flash.