• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG01B | Update 1 of 2)

Just saw Trident's post to maybe hold off on the update until the next one is pushed sometime next week.

Oops.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for all your hard work. I installed flawlessly in a matter of a few minutes.

Also, instead of using Astro File Manager which I already had installed or using a USB cable, I have SwiFTP installed and dropped it in the root of my SD card that way.

Another thing I've noticed that I haven't seen posted elsewhere is the Email app mailboxes changed color but it's no big deal.

Thanks again to for all your help everyone and I'll be sure to hang around now.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I forced the 2.2 update yesterday...problems so far

- Had to do 3 hard resets in past 24 hrs

- 2.2 apps still don't show up in marketplace (ie Flash)

Will I still get the OTA update when I should or will it think I already have 2.2?

It will know you have 2.2, but it also knows that it's an earlier build. It'll just patch it. All you have to do is wait for the OTA or stay tuned for another force guide by me next week.

Reactions: k9cop
Upvote 0
ATTENTION: Motorola and Verizon have found issue with this OTA update and it is rumored that there will be another next week. For those who have already installed this, don't freak out, you will be able to install the new update right over this one. For those who have not already installed this, it's probably best to wait until next week. Stay tuned for more information..

Should I go back to 2.1 and wait to get 2.2 ota? Also just wondering what was so messed up about 2.2 that it had to be changed.

Upvote 0
*sigh* If flash doesn't work, download the .apk or whatever file. I think someone has uploaded it on the forums somewhere.

And for all those who are having problems/issues, do what Trident said and just wait til next week. Verzion and Motorola will have their fixed OTA next week. I'm sure most issues will be resolved then.

Upvote 0
Ok I finally got mine to update to 2.2, for some weird reason everytime I downloaded it to my computer it came over as 12mb instead of 45mb, I downloaded straight from my phone and it worked, all 45mb's downloaded.

On another note, I saw an article online how Verizon requested they remove wifi tethering from the update, can this be the "issues" they're talking about? or does this update already not have tethering? (I'm still installing)

Upvote 0
Ok I finally got mine to update to 2.2, for some weird reason everytime I downloaded it to my computer it came over as 12mb instead of 45mb, I downloaded straight from my phone and it worked, all 45mb's downloaded.

On another note, I saw an article online how Verizon requested they remove wifi tethering from the update, can this be the "issues" they're talking about? or does this update already not have tethering? (I'm still installing)

All that's included within this build is USB Tether.

Upvote 0
Oh snap! [sic] Now playing Flash games on my Droid, attempting to hide my woody here at the office. =cD

images

Upvote 0
RukusRazor thank you so much! Now, hoping not to show too much of my lack of knowledge with this... I just need to know how to move it to my SD card... uhg! Sorry...

Yay! Did it all by my little self. Haha! Opened & installed, but Flash still not working. Any ideas?

All Id id was while the phone was mounted over USB to my computer, I downloaded that MegaUpload version of the APK to the root of my SD Card. Then using "Astro" app, I launched it. Clicked Install. That was it.

hope this helps..

Now to get tethering for without paying 20 a month.. Hmmmm

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones