[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG01B | Update 1 of 2)

Last Updated:

1. RukusRazor

RukusRazor Member

LOL!

Yeah, I've been downloading some of my favorite SWF file games... and seeing how they work on 2.2

We should start a new thread on this with download locations for our favs.

Advertisement
  2. demsecure

demsecure New Member

Installed without a hitch on the first attempt. Also helped 2 others in my office update flawlessly.

This is my first attempt at anything like this and I can't tell you how comforting all the success stories are.
  3. dgriffen87

dgriffen87 New Member

4. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

I am really hoping Verizon does get some fixes in place no offense and I am glad I have it but the more I use it the more little quirky things I see. I can completely understand why they would hold off and fix some of them. From custom ringtones not working to the market not showing any installed apps to other applications never closing. And a lot of other things that just make this build look almost alpha like it was part of a test pilot for the features. Things like these and also a few more. I will wait until my fianc
  5. SilentJ20

SilentJ20 Member

Awesome. This was my first attempt at anything like this, too, and I can't tell you how disappointing it was to have a broken (temporarily, hopefully) phone :D

Just bad luck I guess...
  6. orla droid

orla droid New Member

works!
  7. RgnKjnVA

RgnKjnVA Active Member

I seriously want to ask some lawyer friends of mine about a civil suit against Verizon re: fees for usb tethering. It's double dipping. All VZ brings to the table for this feature is a data connection, one that we are ALREADY required to pay for UNLIMITED DATA. I can understand limiting HOTSPOT because in that case you potentially have non-subscribers mooching off of VZs bandwidth. However, in USB tethering there is a one-to-one relationship between the subscriber's device and a computer. Therefore, what is the justification for this arbitrary fee? Am I missing something here?
  8. Daod

Daod New Member

Works Perfectly! FROYO FTW
  9. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

The thing I think you are missing is that you pay for device data which is generally smaller. Using your phone as a modem is different its not what the device was intended for and they have stand alone devices for that such as the mifi hotspot or other dedicated cards. I agree you should be able to tether and there are plenty of ways to do it without paying the extra but for all intents and purposes you are using the phone as a modem and can chew up the data you would normally use in a matter of minutes instead of days this way. My average data usage is under 500MB on my phone, my consumption on my netbook with WWAN is well over 3GB a month when i use it heavily.
  10. RukusRazor

RukusRazor Member

That's what I'm saying. When I first heard about Froyo and tethering I thought "Sweet! Now I can work in the car during a road trip as long as there's a tower to hit", but $20 a month for the little I'd use that? And to limit it at 2GB? That's derp.

Sad panda. :(
  11. RgnKjnVA

RgnKjnVA Active Member

I suppose but I stream music a lot on my Droid (sidebar: WHEN will XiiaLive come up with a widget worth installing?!) so I'm typically close to 3G per month. What's it to Verizon? They offered Unlimited, I pay for unlimited, damn it I want unlimited so I would hope they have a better justification than data usage. Furthermore, my apologies if I'm one of the chumps making VZ rethink this Unlimited Data Plan stuff. heh heh
  12. flandurka1

flandurka1 New Member

Wow!!! It's working. Can't believe I (a total computer idiot) was able to do this. Thanks to all of you! Love it!!!
  13. eagle1848

eagle1848 New Member

First time doing anything like this. So far froyo is great. No problems really. Thank you trident for this update.

I have read all posts and can't find any that address my question. Ran linpack and it says I am running 800 mhz/vole/shole when I save my results. Is this normal or does that mean I got the wrong rom? My understanding was the droid only runs a 550 stock. I just want to make sure I got the legit ota forced to my phone instead of something else. Thanks.
  14. RgnKjnVA

RgnKjnVA Active Member

Earlier in the thread JohnlGalt mentioned in a discussion about battery life he believes that 2.2 runs at 800 and therefore may experience decreased battery life FWIW.
  15. bluboy

bluboy Member

Could this be why I can't get the update to install? I have tried downloading from about half the sites listed for the non computer method. They download fine, I get through the rest of the process just fine. But when the phone restarts, I get no Froyo. It's back to 2.1-update1. The kernel doesn't change, the build doesn't change. Very frustrating.
  16. eagle1848

eagle1848 New Member

So is vole/shole a codename for the device? I googled it and that what it appeared to be but I wanted to double check. I plan on trying to update soonish but I still would prefer to not void my warranty. Thanks for all your help.
  17. RukusRazor

RukusRazor Member

You sure that when you power the phone on, you are holding "x" on the qwerty slide-out keyboard? You should get a DOS looking menu, then you choose the install update.zip and click the gold D-Pad button. Please describe your process step-by-step if it doesn't work this next time, and I'll see what steps you may be missing.

Good luck! :)
  18. Dog1

Dog1 Member

I downloaded the update a few hours ago. Everything seems fine.

Wonder what the issue is?
  19. RukusRazor

RukusRazor Member

That they didn't get to put their "behold droid owners!!" marketing touch to it. :p
  20. JoJackish

JoJackish New Member

Im getting this error message:

E; cant mount /dev/block/mmcblkp1 (or/dev/block/mmcblk0)
    (no such file or directory)
    E:cant mount SDCARD: update.zip

any ideas or help would be awesome.

Thanks
  21. Khaosbringer

Khaosbringer New Member

I have been impatiently waiting for Froyo OTA. I have been skeptical about installing stuff like this, but I held my breath, and did it. Works like a charm. I'm so happy. This will keep me going until the OTA hits and patches anything buggy with this build. But, so far so good! Thanks, Trident!
  22. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Is it just me or has anyone else been having 2.1 OTA flashbacks? I am having massive "LSD style" 2.1 OTA flashbacks and it's really annoying me. :D

Kratos
  23. madness1004

madness1004 New Member

My Astrofile manager will not let me copy and paste the update zip. Did this happen to anyone else?
  24. Dog1

Dog1 Member

I have..to an extent. Since I have just had the Droid for about 3 weeks, I was not fully used to it, so the new update did not mess me up as bad.
  25. Grey1001

Grey1001 Well-Known Member

Used the PC method, appears all went well, had to pull the battery to get 3G back, WiFi worked fine on first re-boot.

[​IMG]