How to format /data if you have CWM recovery installed

1. Neph81

Neph81 Well-Known Member

EDIT:

This is now out of date. Please use the new Recovery based off of Koush's Official Nitro Release.

http://androidforums.com/spectrum-all-things-root/513801-cwm-touch-recovery-lg-spectrum.html

Ok, well, it seems that people read the part about our recovery not having a proper format command for /data, but not many read the part about there being a work around. Below is the original link and instructions specific to our phone.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM] DOMINATION HD | 2.3.5 | Quick & Amazing | NitroHD *NEW

Now because our phone has different partition layouts, here is the corrected instructions.

1. Use titanium back up to backup all the apps you have (hopefully you did this when you first rooted with the stock apps).

2. boot into CWM

3. Unmount /data in Mounts and Storage (if its mounted)

4. Connect your phone to your computer (while still in CWM under mounts and storage)

5. Run "adb shell" from the command line. (If you haven't done adb before, google it. You have to download all or part of the google sdk and set it up on your computer).

6. Run the two commands below, one at a time. Wait for the first command to finish before running the second.

/sbin/mke2fs -t ext4 -b 4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p28

/sbin/e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p28

7. In CWM, do a "wipe cache partition" and "advanced > wipe dalvik cache"

8. Reboot your system in CWM. (It takes a little while).

After you get back, you'll have to set everything up again. You can then use titanium backup to restore user apps.

Advertisement
    :
  2. brianmaedche

brianmaedche Well-Known Member

Okay so what exactly does this do to my phone or what does it allow it to do?
  3. Neph81

Neph81 Well-Known Member

In order to flash a custom rom or to recover from a boot loop due to freezing the wrong program, you need to erase /data. Because the current port of CWM corrupts /data if you format it, you need the two commands in bold to perform the task.

As of today thou, an official CWM recovery has been released for the Nitro. I'm working on getting it ported over as they have fixed the issue with format corrupting /data. I can get it to load, but nothing shows up on screen. Being as this new version is a touch recovery, that's sorta important.
  4. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

It's a shame no one has a Nitro repo public... that phone is most like ours and would make deving cm7 A LOT easier.
  5. Neph81

Neph81 Well-Known Member

6. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Yea, except he doesn't have any public repos. At least none I saw.