• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to free Internal Storage Space?

thanks. i have linked entries between phone and gmail. ths why the phone nos in the phone memory dont show up in the gmail contacts?
should I export just the phone contacts or the gmail ones or both to the sd card first?
thn delete the entire info under 'PEOPLE' before reimporting? or just the phone contacts in 'people'?

I think the easiest thing to do would be export both the phone and gmail contacts to SD, then delete all 'People' and re-import them all into your Gmail account. You will still have duplicates there, so you can log onto your Gmail account on a PC, and merge / tidy up as necessary.

Upvote 0
I think the easiest thing to do would be export both the phone and gmail contacts to SD, then delete all 'People' and re-import them all into your Gmail account. You will still have duplicates there, so you can log onto your Gmail account on a PC, and merge / tidy up as necessary.

Thanks. I tried that. exported gmail and phone contacts to sd and then imported it to my gmail account. and tidied up the account contacts. then synced it with the phone. one thing which dint work out are the calender entries. it showed lots of duplicates. so i cleared the data in 'calender storage' in 'settings' which erased all the calender entries. but when i synced the calender after that, only very few entires are synced. dont understand wat occured in between.

2) also, wat happens if 'dialer storage' data is cleared. my whole inbox got cleared. i thought it deletes the phones call records, but that stayed intact. strange.

3) is there any way to backup the FB contacts similarly, to phone or PC and then sync it with gmail?

Upvote 0
If you do your homework first and make sure you know what to do then the risk is actually very small - most problems are ultimately down to user error (including bad downloads, using the wrong tools, using a procedure that isn't applicable to their particular phone model). If you are interested, I recommend the guides linked from the root forum sticky post (I have a link to this in my sig), and then asking about anything you don't understand in that forum.

But it isn't for everyone, and you shouldn't do it unless you are comfortable with it.

Finally made up my mind to root. Rooted and used link2sd to get my apps moved to an external partition. But now want to know how to move app data to SD? Anybody?

Upvote 0
Hi all,

i really felt happy by watching this forum that i will get a solution for my rather everybody's common problem of internal memory shortage...:mad:

My HTC Desire's android version is 2.2.2, i got 8gb sd card and only 20mb left in my Internal Phone Storage.

previously i installed all the good games like angry birds, bunny shooter and other good utilities/apps to my phone. Now i dont have any apps except Facebook, Peep, Gmail, GTalk, Maps, Youtube which are pre installed and i am unable to move them to SD card or delete !!! PhEw !!! :thinking:

Now if i install any new app it is showing " Low Memory ... delete some apps ". Really i am fedup with this. I even downloaded "apps2sd" app from Market which is no use in moving pre-installed apps. :( If i install angry birds or any new app to sd card also it shows low memory !!!

Please help me out guys ... ya i know there are lot of threads on this but please guide me with step by step procedure for solution ... either ROOTING(which SW i should download to PC and HTC ? and from where ?) or any other solution !

Thanks in advance. :)

kallu.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
Now i dont have any apps except Facebook, Peep, Gmail, GTalk, Maps, Youtube which are pre installed and i am unable to move them to SD card or delete !!! PhEw !!! :thinking:

Now if i install any new app it is showing " Low Memory ... delete some apps ". Really i am fedup with this. I even downloaded "apps2sd" app from Market which is no use in moving pre-installed apps. :( If i install angry birds or any new app to sd card also it shows low memory !!!

kallu.

With just the pre-installed apps you should have at least 125 MB free space considering the mandatory updates. If that is not the case there is something wrong that some of your downloaded apps did not uninstall properly. I was into this situation once when I partitioned my SD card and the apps moved to SD card neither launch nor got uninstalled. I didn't have patience to look thru the forums for solutions on how to get them cleaned. So, just reset the phone and all those problem causing apps are gone. Then installed the apps one by one.

Did you try the options in the below blog.
A few simple ways to manage 'Low on space' on HTC Desire

If that does not help you reduce storage, try the below article in this forum to see what is taking up your space.
How to get details of what's in the data partition

I did this and got my internal storage completely profiled to understand what is taking up space. This does not need rooting.

Also check whether your default install location is set to SD card. You can check and change that by using the below article.
Android Install location

please guide me with step by step procedure for solution ... either ROOTING(which SW i should download to PC and HTC ? and from where ?) or any other solution !

So, if nothing works out, then the only option is to root and link apps to SD including their Cache and lib files by using link2SD. Below is a good guide to do that.
Increase Free space on HTC Desire

A good rooting guide is already there in this forum.

Upvote 0
And to be clear, you cannot move pre-installed apps, i.e. those that are part of the phone's system software (the "ROM"). Equally, these are not taking up your internal space, since they live in a different storage partition, so you would not gain any space if you could remove them.

If rooted you have many options for addressing this.

Upvote 0
I would imagine SUroot was referring to the sticky post in the "tips and tricks" subforum.

Class 6 is as fast as the Desire can really take advantage of.

Sorry, I am not able to find that in tips and tricks. Can you help me with a link?

Let me tell you what I am currently doing and what I am looking for.
To move the data part of the app, I now manually move the data folder of that app to my extended SD partition. Then create a symbolic link in the data\data folder to the SD folder. This works.

But what I want is an automated way of doing this selectively in the same way as link2SD. I can certainly create a script to do this. But every time, I have to look into link2SD to know the data folder name and then edit my script or run in the terminal emulator and provide the folder name as an argument, which I feel cumbersome.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I symlinked the facebook app's data folder (com.facebook.katana) to conserve space. I am using Link2SD to link apk and dalvik-cache files to SD partition. Facebook app's data folder is moved to this partition. Works fine till the reboot. Once rebooted the folder, com.facebook.katana in the SD partition gets wiped off completely, due to which facebook app does not show up in installed apps at all. Any idea why it gets wiped off? The link remains intact, albeit pointing to empty folder. I have done this symlinking of data folder for other apps and those work fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones