how to free up memory?

Last Updated:

1. Adebisi

Adebisi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

All tips welcome, how can I free up more memory on my desire? I don't have many apps on it but it is always at low memory status. :confused::mad::confused::(:confused:

Advertisement
  2. dajomel

dajomel Well-Known Member

Hmm what do you call "don't have many apps"? I have nearly 60 Apps/Skins/Games and have hit 115Mb out of the 147Mb available so still not got any warnings yet.

Have you tried clearing out the Caches? Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. Click on apps you think may use cache (mail, sms, browser etc) and clear them all out. That freed up about 15-20Mb for me the last time I did it.

Alternatively, use an APP like ASTRO to backup apps and then uninstall ones you rarely use. Then you can restore without needing to go onto the Market.

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

+1 for Astro. It backs up the .apk installation file (for most apps) on /sdcard/backups/apps

4. Adebisi

Adebisi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

the only paid for app I own is copilot (which is big but think it mainly resides on the SD card?) so not bothered about the free apps which I can get again. So could just do a reset and everything is gone? I think maybe some apps have left files after I have uninstalled them (can that happen?). I have astro and deleted a folder today that contained the name of an old app and had some files in it but did not sort the problem out. I am not sure what the other folders I can delete are as the names are not familiar. I have installed loads of apps in the past but uninstalled them after so don't really have much on there apart from the stock apps that come with a HTC 2.1 o2 desire. I can't wait for 2.2 so I can fill my 32GB SD card with apps.

5. kimmkidd

kimmkidd New Member

"Have you tried clearing out the Caches? Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. Click on apps you think may use cache (mail, sms, browsAlternatively, use an APP like ASTRO to backup apps and then uninstall ones you rarely use. Then you can restore without needing to go onto the Market."

Ive tried clearing my stuff and so I just downloaded the app Astro, but now I dont really know how it works. What does Astro do to help free up memory? :confused:

6. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Do you use Facebook by any chance? that munches space like a...well, finish that off how ever you like.

friendstream too, Also, some peoples contacts have been known to take up loads of space.

7. StephenJSweeney

StephenJSweeney Member

Well, that's not entirely true. Only a handful of apps can be moved to the SD card. Widgets, keyboards, apps to run services, etc. must remain on the phone. Also, it's up to the app developer to choose whether or not you can move it to the SD card.

Google Maps and Facebook are the biggest drains on my internal memory.

I wish I'd waited a few weeks and picked up the Desire S, as the standard Desire has only about 150MB for the user apps, whereas the Desire S has 1GB. My brother has installed a ton of apps to the phone and is yet to break the 900MB free mark. I'm at about 15MB free all the time.

I'm giving serious consideration to selling my HTC Desire and getting a Desire S. I'd get

8. blackdog

blackdog Member

I freed up loads of memory by uninstalling the updates to Flash and Google Maps. This seems to have no adverse affects on Flash and since I have Orange Maps I'm not that bothered about the Google Maps issue - though that also still seems to work just fine.

I've gone from having about 15mb free to 25mb, and I've installed a couple of apps that take up about 10mb so all-in-all I think I freed up about 20mb!

9. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member