Last Updated:

1. adz63

adz63 Well-Known Member

ok i got a new app called androidsysinfo and it says RAM max 196mb free 2mb

how can i free up some more RAM

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The OS will allocate resources as/when it needs to. With Android, especially v2.2, "free RAM" is wasted RAM.... no point in having it sitting there doing nothing. ;)
  3. nedamdam

nedamdam Well-Known Member

Hmm, not much so sure there though. It takes more time to free ram when opening some big game. You could try autokiller. Some ppl like it :D
  4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I've mentioned how great autokiller is in the past (several times :p), but actually I wouldn't recommend it any more.

In the past I found the phone would slow down and get laggy as the RAM got filled and that Autokiller kept things running smoothly. But, perhaps due to the improvements in 2.2 that Slug refereed to, I see absolutely no difference in performance now I've deactivated AutoKiller; it doesn't seem to lag with low RAM any more.

Added bonus is that your apps are less likely to get killed when you're switching between multiple apps.

I don't run any games though, if that matters.
  5. nedamdam

nedamdam Well-Known Member

Well I have bought it. But as said "some ppl" like it. I am not one of them. First of all it runs by every possible action. Was hogging even the CPU. And the effect was even negative. I unistalled it. And I even know VR team didnt recommend it :p.

Right now for cleaning ram and killing apps I have the rechild task manager for froyo and FCing some apps. If needed. Thats all :D
  6. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Just a FYI in the passing..... my handset was last rebooted 53hr 52mins ago, and currently has 35MB free memory. The only 'management' is that done by the OS - no third-party tools and definitely no task killers. ;)