• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW TO](gaining root)unlock,downgrade,and achieve s-off with htcDev

Scotty,
Yeah, I wanted to try that. But adb devices does not show anything. And obviously I can't turn on usb debugging from android. Is there a way to turn on usb debugging in hboot?

I think all the earlier reboot loops may have screwed up the partitions.

you wont need to enable usb debugging. the adb deamon is automatically running in recovery,and is not needed for fastboot.

as long as you have drivers installed and can get to fastboot from the hboot menu,you can do the fastboot commands.

as soon as you get a recovery installed,and are able to boot to it,you will be able to do the adb commands.

so when you do step 2,boot to hboot,select fastboot,plug the phone in, then just ignore the "adb" commands,they are just there to boot your phone to fastboot from the booted OS. its a a lil more elegant than powering off,enter hboot,select fastboot when you have a working phone ;) but as long as you can enter fastboot,you can do the fastboot commands.

hope that makes sense.

rest assured,the bootloops are an effect rather than a cause,you did no damage to the phone when it was rebooting. whatever happened to the phone did so at some prior time.

biggest thing anyone can do to avoid bad blocks that eventually damage partitions is to double check md5s. bad(corrupt) flashes in recovery are typically the reason memory blocks are damaged.

Upvote 0
So yes, flashing recovery goes ok without errors. But trying to get to recovery results in boot loop.

I also found the latest ruu exe with 608.15 that matched my phone but it gave some "undefined error" and then wouldn't update. It starts the process and at some point errors out.

Is there a way to remove traces of the commands? When I do oem lock it says relocked. I want to try and get verizon to replace this. The reboot problem has been there for a long time and I don't think I caused it. Only previously it would recover when battery was removed. But now it doesn't.

Upvote 0
scotty85

Excellent write up! Worked like a charm for me on the first try. I was on GB 2.3.4 but had the incessant annoying 2am boot loop issue..."Drooooid."

So I used the info in this article to downgrade back to Froyo running the "stock, rooted" 2.2 ROM. No more annoying 2am boot loop. Again this article was a life saver for me (sleep saver anyways heh heh) as I was about to smash this phone to bits! (no not really).

Anyways, I had 1 question. Let's say I was really picky about wanting to back up everything on the phone exactly as it was before flashing anything, rooting, or getting S-OFF. Namely I wanted to back up the stock recovery as well as my original stock ROM, before flashing recovery to clockwork recovery.

Instead of:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc.img

Couldn't I have done:
fastboot boot
recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc.img

That way you could boot from the recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc.img file in the mini-adb_inc folder instead of flash it to the phone (basically load it as a ramdisk on the phone) so you could backup the stock recovery, and then proceed with the flashing over it with clockwork recovery.

I know it would be an extra step, which would go between 1) unlock with htcdev and 2) flash recovery.

Everyone's probably thinking why bother to back that up, why would I ever want to restore back to the stock recovery when the modded recoveries are way more powerful, etc.

Well lets say at some point in the future I wanted to put everything, even the recovery, back to stock so I could sell the phone on ebay or craigslist.

As a test, I tried restoring the backup I made of my original stock, unrooted ROM, which restores the system, but clockwork recovery is still on the phone, not the stock. So where do I get a copy or .img of the original stock recovery now that mine is obliterated?

Upvote 0
scotty85

Excellent write up! Worked like a charm for me on the first try. I was on GB 2.3.4 but had the incessant annoying 2am boot loop issue..."Drooooid."

So I used the info in this article to downgrade back to Froyo running the "stock, rooted" 2.2 ROM. No more annoying 2am boot loop. Again this article was a life saver for me (sleep saver anyways heh heh) as I was about to smash this phone to bits! (no not really).

Anyways, I had 1 question. Let's say I was really picky about wanting to back up everything on the phone exactly as it was before flashing anything, rooting, or getting S-OFF. Namely I wanted to back up the stock recovery as well as my original stock ROM, before flashing recovery to clockwork recovery.

Instead of:

Couldn't I have done:
fastboot boot

That way you could boot from the recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc.img file in the mini-adb_inc folder instead of flash it to the phone (basically load it as a ramdisk on the phone) so you could backup the stock recovery, and then proceed with the flashing over it with clockwork recovery.

I know it would be an extra step, which would go between 1) unlock with htcdev and 2) flash recovery.

Everyone's probably thinking why bother to back that up, why would I ever want to restore back to the stock recovery when the modded recoveries are way more powerful, etc.

Well lets say at some point in the future I wanted to put everything, even the recovery, back to stock so I could sell the phone on ebay or craigslist.

As a test, I tried restoring the backup I made of my original stock, unrooted ROM, which restores the system, but clockwork recovery is still on the phone, not the stock. So where do I get a copy or .img of the original stock recovery now that mine is obliterated?
If you were going to return to stock, you would just run a pb31img.zip or an RUU which would also restore the stock recovery, which also has the benefit of completely wiping the phone.

Upvote 0
So yes, flashing recovery goes ok without errors. But trying to get to recovery results in boot loop.

I also found the latest ruu exe with 608.15 that matched my phone but it gave some "undefined error" and then wouldn't update. It starts the process and at some point errors out.

Is there a way to remove traces of the commands? When I do oem lock it says relocked. I want to try and get verizon to replace this. The reboot problem has been there for a long time and I don't think I caused it. Only previously it would recover when battery was removed. But now it doesn't.
you can show us a paste of your session,if you want.. but it doesnt sound good. sounds like the recovery partition is damaged beyond installing a new recovery. :(

unfortunately,thats one of the downfalls of htcdev. the only way to get rid of the relocked watermark would be to flash the older .92 hboot,where all visual clues of htcdev would be gone. but,there is no way(that i know of) to get back to .92 or flash any older ruu,without changing the main version,wich you cannot do without working recovery,or working,booting OS :(

a copy/paste of your cmd window flashing the recovery certainly could not hurt. :)

Instead of:

Couldn't I have done:
fastboot boot

sure,you could have done that. the reasons i didnt are:
when unlocking the first time,whatever recovery is in place would be overwritten with the stock recovery in the froyo downgrade,so there wasnt mucn point.

after unlocking the second time,most folks want a permanent recovery to root,rom and mod things,so for most folks using the guide,leaving the stock recovery wasnt a great idea there,either.

on the rezound and other devices that folks are using s-on unlock i actually preach to leave the stock recovery so the phone can still accept OTAs :eek: or even if they wish to install a permanent recovery,since booted recovery can install kernels,unlike an installed one. it can also be good in recovery situations (lightbulb :D) so the fastboot boot command very defiantely has its uses :smokingsomb:

[/B]That way you could boot from the recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc.img file in the mini-adb_inc folder instead of flash it to the phone (basically load it as a ramdisk on the phone) so you could backup the stock recovery, and then proceed with the flashing over it with clockwork recovery.
just thot id point out,that you cant back up the stock recovery with clockwork,in the same sense that you make a nandroid backup. you must dump the recovery partition with adb commands,wich can be done from a custom recovery since the adb daemon is running,or from the botoed OS.

as sdraw saiid,running an ruu restores the stock recovery,and you could easily pull a stock recovery image from an ruu,and pack it up as a PB31IMG,or fastboot boot/fastboot flash it,if you really wanted to.

just make sure that if you do ever return to stock,and sell the device,do it a favor and leave it s-off! ;) :cool:

Reactions: jake.ashford
Upvote 0

it can also be good in recovery situations (lightbulb :D) so the fastboot boot command very defiantely has its uses :smokingsomb:

not sure why it didnt click to try this... try fastboot boot recoveryname.img and see if your recovery starts up on the phone. if it does not,please show us a copy/paste of the cmd window,and a screen shot of mini-adb_inc on the PC.

double check again for phone programs running(easy tether,htc sync,pda net,etc) and make sure youve tried some different usb cables and ports

if it does start,you can try the directions as we discussed above to flash root files,mount /data,and change the main version. if nothing else,even if the downgrade ruu doesnt fix the phone,we can still turn s-off and get back the .92 hboot.

Upvote 0
just thot id point out,that you cant back up the stock recovery with clockwork,in the same sense that you make a nandroid backup. you must dump the recovery partition with adb commands,wich can be done from a custom recovery since the adb daemon is running,or from the botoed OS.

as sdraw saiid,running an ruu restores the stock recovery,and you could easily pull a stock recovery image from an ruu,and pack it up as a PB31IMG,or fastboot boot/fastboot flash it,if you really wanted to.

I ran a backup from within clockworkmod:
ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.0
SD Card space free: 11217MB
Backing up boot image...
Backing up recovery image...
Backing up system...
Backing up data...
Backing up datadata...
Backing up .android_secure...
Backing up cache...
No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.
Generating md5 sum...

Backup complete!
Then when I took a peek in the clockworkmod folder on my SD card, there was a file in there named "recovery.img".

Out of curiousity, I flashed this file back using your Step 2) flash recovery instructions and then rebooted into recovery to see what recovery would load. Clockwork recovery loaded.

So I had assumed that clockwork recovery actually did back up the recovery partition, but since I had already flashed clockwork, it just backed itself up. Wrong assumption?

I didn't intend to leave stock recovery on while running a mod, I just wanted to back it up before permanently flashing clockwork.

If I ever wanted to just go back to my original config (as opposed to complete stock), I thought it would be convenient to be able to restore a backup of my original ROM and then just flash back the stock recovery as opposed to doing a factory reset, running through the setup wizard, activation, re-installing all my apps and redoing all my settings, etc.

I mention these things only because I always like to have an easy way out of a bad situation should things go wrong

Anyway, since I now know that stock recovery can be restored via RUU or PB31IMG (thanks to sdrawkcab & scotty85 for clarifying this), I guess it's all moot. It was just some curiousity and confusion I had in wanting to know more about how things work before doing any modifications, but it's all hindsight now. :)

(Maybe this isn't the proper thread for a discussion about backup....feel free to move this post if it would be a better fit in another thread :))

Upvote 0
So I had assumed that clockwork recovery actually did back up the recovery partition, but since I had already flashed clockwork, it just backed itself up. Wrong assumption?
no,youre completely correct,i hAd completely forgotten some custom recoveries do back up the recovery partition :eek:

what you suggested above actually should work... if you boot clockwork and make a backup,it will backup the recovery partition(and therefore the stock recovery if thats whats there) when it makes the nandroid.

sorry... it was early,and i apparently hadnt given that answer much thot ;)

ive pulled images out of nandroids myself,so i know full well that they are able to be backed up :eek:

Upvote 0
Ok I searched over all ten pages and still can't find any answered to my issues!
Since I new at all this, hopefully its just a noob thing.

I posted the error but it won't let me! Cause I'm a new person!
The issue is that I getting trying to flash mtd0.img at the end. Everything is type in perfect. I would show you if I could, but it won't let me cause Im new.
error scanning partitions

Any help? Thanks
Dustin

Upvote 0
sorry... it was early,and i apparently hadnt given that answer much thot ;)

ive pulled images out of nandroids myself,so i know full well that they are able to be backed up :eek:

It's all good. :) I've had this droid for almost 2yrs and am just now getting into rooting, modding, etc. The things that can be done on droid is cool and pretty interesting.

This site and posts like your OP have been very informative and helpful. Keep up the good work! :)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Ok I searched over all ten pages and still can't find any answered to my issues!
Since I new at all this, hopefully its just a noob thing.

I posted the error but it won't let me! Cause I'm a new person!
The issue is that I getting trying to flash mtd0.img at the end. Everything is type in perfect. I would show you if I could, but it won't let me cause Im new.
error scanning partitions

Any help? Thanks
Dustin

copy cmd window(right click,click mark,highlight all in white,hit enter)

paste here(being new wont matter),preferably between
Code:
 tags

there are any number of things that can be wrong,and we dont have nearly enuff info.

first the obvious: you are working on an oridinal droid,incredible,correct?(not inc 2 or inc s)

Upvote 0
Is it possible to downgrade to froyo from cm7 to apply s-off, cm7 is only rom i can get to flash on incredible and i stupidly applied s-on in multiple attempts to flash different rom and was finally going to try to go back stock still which none of worked, only cm7. If so how? In adb or hboot? Should i just do same as in original post?

the filesystems are different,so it may be needed to modify the commands slightly,but otherwise it should work to change the main version on cm7.

in a worse case,we can help you install a stock rom such as this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737398

wipe data/factory reset,wipe cache,wipe dalvik cache,and flash that rom in recovery. let us know what issues arrise and we will see what we can figure out :)

Upvote 0
Question. These steps worked perfectly on my DINC. I installed Titanium Backup and uninstalled some bloatware. Goodbye Verizon apps. Since I was running 2.2, I thought i could have upgrade back to 2.3.4. I found a 2.3.4 ROM and installed it. I noticed that the bloatware was back, and I lost SuperUser and Titanium. Stupid me. I thought the update will affect the OS and not the apps. Was I wrong?

So now with 2.3.4, I reinstalled Titanium but it didnt have root rights. I reinstalled Superuser from the Market. I still cant run Titanium. I get permission denied when I do a su. I also downloaded an app from market to check if i am root. said that i am not. but when i get the bootloader, it says S-OFF.

Am I still rooted? Do i have to stay with 2.2 when I follow these steps to root?

thanks

Upvote 0
I have a problem
Have a Desire S.
I will like to downgrade to root my phone but i cant.

Hboot info
*** UNLOCK ***
SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.02.0002
RADIO-3831.19.00.110
eMMC-boot
Jul 31 2012, 15:41:32

But i have try this guide in here. but no succes. Can some help me.

I have unlock my HBOOT.
Thats is.
this guide is for the htc droid incredible(aka incredible 1) once youve unlocked your bootloader,you jsut need a recovery image compatible with the desire s. let me see what i can find ;)
Question. These steps worked perfectly on my DINC. I installed Titanium Backup and uninstalled some bloatware. Goodbye Verizon apps. Since I was running 2.2, I thought i could have upgrade back to 2.3.4. I found a 2.3.4 ROM and installed it. I noticed that the bloatware was back, and I lost SuperUser and Titanium. Stupid me. I thought the update will affect the OS and not the apps. Was I wrong?

So now with 2.3.4, I reinstalled Titanium but it didnt have root rights. I reinstalled Superuser from the Market. I still cant run Titanium. I get permission denied when I do a su. I also downloaded an app from market to check if i am root. said that i am not. but when i get the bootloader, it says S-OFF.

Am I still rooted? Do i have to stay with 2.2 when I follow these steps to root?

thanks
you are not rooted,in the sense tyhat you do not have root access to /system. however,you are still what some folks consider "permantly rooted" by
being s-off.

rest assure,you can be rooted now on any OS,all you have to do is reinstall recovery and superuser. directiond here: http://androidforums.com/incredible...egain-root-s-off-htc-unlocked-bootloader.html :)

Upvote 0
I have a problem
Have a Desire S.
I will like to downgrade to root my phone but i cant.

Hboot info
*** UNLOCK ***
SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.02.0002
RADIO-3831.19.00.110
eMMC-boot
Jul 31 2012, 15:41:32

But i have try this guide in here. but no succes. Can some help me.

I have unlock my HBOOT.
Thats is.

there is a good guide here:
http://androidforums.com/desire-s-all-things-root/606770-guide-root-desire-s-hboot-2-0-s.html

it lists the recovceries you can use. post in that thread if you have any questions,i will help :)

ote: after you get recovery and superuser installed,id highly recomend you downgrade using those directions to a firmware you can root with revolutionary.s-off is better in many,many ways

Upvote 0
Why can't i download the miniadb_inc.zip? I tried using a different abd since trying to download this one from multiple sources and browsers all gave me the same "filesize mismatch" BS, now of course my phone is locked after updating the RUU and i still can't get this adb. Can someone test that DL to see if it's only me or re upload it so it will work correctly? Thanks hopefully my phone isnt bricked now.

Upvote 0
Why can't i download the miniadb_inc.zip? I tried using a different abd since trying to download this one from multiple sources and browsers all gave me the same "filesize mismatch" BS, now of course my phone is locked after updating the RUU and i still can't get this adb. Can someone test that DL to see if it's only me or re upload it so it will work correctly? Thanks hopefully my phone isnt bricked now.

your phone is not bricked(assuming it wasnt prior ;))

the download works fine for me. you may be having issues because an antivirus or firewall is set with extremly strict standards. you may need to temporarily disable such programs for the file to download.

if you have unlocked your bootloader previously,you can reunlock it at any time with your original token,assuming you still have that,and the files you used to unlock it(c:\android if you followed htcdev directions)

Upvote 0
Ok i got everything restarted and now i'm stuck at #2 since i cant enable the USB debugging in the phone. Because when i installed the 1.02 ruu from step 1.2 it only boots into hboot not the OS it self. Was i not supposed to install that RUU?

if you didnt allready have an htcdev compatible hboot,then you did need to install it. tho,if you were on a software version that there was an existing ruu for,you mauy have shot yourself inthe foot,so to speak... the new hboot ruu raised your main version,so now there is not an ruu you can run. youll be forced to continue on and change the main version so you can run the froyo ruu(and then become s-off)

heres the catch: since you cant boot to the OS,youll need to perform the downgrade steps in recovery. when you get to step 4,youll just need to enter recovery thru fastboot,and then plug the phone in,ignoring the steps about usb debug and such(adb automatically works in recovery). the commands will work fine in recovery. you will just need to adb shell mount /data after checking the md5s,and before the rest of the commands. heres what it will look like(red are my inputs):

Code:
c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="Red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
List of devices attached
HT117HJ00242    recovery

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]md5sums mtd0.img[/COLOR]

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename                              MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[c:\mini-adb_inc\]
mtd0.img                                       34307be744275f1db1dd16af04c37839

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]md5sums flash_image[/COLOR]

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename                              MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[c:\mini-adb_inc\]
flash_image                                    0098a7dd6600b55fac34fc6645be5d7a
c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb shell mount /data[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb push flash_image /data/local/[/COLOR]
1485 KB/s (76044 bytes in 0.050s)

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/[/COLOR]
1939 KB/s (655360 bytes in 0.330s)

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
/ # [COLOR="red"]cd /data/local[/COLOR]
cd /data/local
/data/local # [COLOR="red"]chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image[/COLOR]
chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image
/data/local # [COLOR="red"]cd /data/local[/COLOR]
cd /data/local
/data/local #[COLOR="red"] ./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img[/COLOR]
./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img
/data/local # [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
exit

rest assured,you should be able to complete the unlock,install recovery,flash superuser,enter the commands to change the mainversion so you can downgrade,then flash the froyo downgrade ruu all without a booting OS.

im off to bed,but ill check on you in the morning :)

edit:
since you have the stock recovery in place at this point,try doing a factory reset in the hboot menu,and see if that allows the phone to boot. the steps will be a lil easier for you if the phone boots,and you can follow the steps exactly. should have mentioned that first :eek:

Upvote 0
Ok heres the deal, my phone is already rooted with s-off. And before trying this tut any attempt to wipe, factory reset or reflash the phone gave the same results. Me booting the phone with all my apps trying to open and getting a 100 force close boxes, even after a successful bootloader unlock where "all my data will be lost" i boot into the phone with the same deal, the same broken apps there force closing on start up. I have a bad feeling this phones memory has been frozen ever since it has been sitting on my dresser without being turned on for a couple months.

So back to step 2 i installed an old froyo that gives me access to the OS again so i can go into debug mode since recovery doesn't seem to be recognized. i get to the end of step 2 where i get..

C:\miniadb_inc>fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc.img
sending 'recovery' (3064 KB)... OKAY [ 0.422s]
writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.422s

I'm still thinking i have a hardware bricked phone.

Upvote 0
Ok heres the deal, my phone is already rooted with s-off. And before trying this tut any attempt to wipe, factory reset or reflash the phone gave the same results. Me booting the phone with all my apps trying to open and getting a 100 force close boxes, even after a successful bootloader unlock where "all my data will be lost" i boot into the phone with the same deal, the same broken apps there force closing on start up. I have a bad feeling this phones memory has been frozen ever since it has been sitting on my dresser without being turned on for a couple months.

So back to step 2 i installed an old froyo that gives me access to the OS again so i can go into debug mode since recovery doesn't seem to be recognized. i get to the end of step 2 where i get..

If you are already s-off... What are you trying to accomplish? (the goal of this thread is to get s-off)

You only need to do this to get a custom recovery and root.
http://androidforums.com/incredible...egain-root-s-off-htc-unlocked-bootloader.html

From there you will just have to try roms until you can get it to boot. But sounds like you have a hardware issue with the memory on the phone.
http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/521423-how-flash-roms.html

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

the 'remote not allowed' error is from trying to use the fastboot flash command on a normal,locked bootloader. you must be unlocked to use that command.

but at any rate,as sdraw stated,you do not need any of this guide if youre allready s-off. your phone is not doing any security checks,so tehre is no need to fool with adb to change the main version. nothing in this process will fix your phone. :(

what i would do,is run an ruu. i woulds try either the froyo downgrade from the OP,or you can try this GB: http://pvillecomp.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Images/Gingerbread-Stock_PB31IMG.zip

rename PB31IMG,put on FAT32 sd card,and boot to hboot. allow the update. hopefully all partitions will flash successfully,and the phone will boot into a wiped,out of the box,working state. at that point,you can reinstall recovery and root(or a rom) via the links sdraw gave you.

holler if you have questions :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones