• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get Android Calendar to handle .ics files

andyroids_

Lurker
Jun 14, 2013
HTC One running 4.1.2, Rogers

Seems like it should be simple and worked fine on my old galaxy - when I get a calendar invite, say in gmail, I used to be able to click on, say the "Yes" link and it took me straight to the Calender app with the entry ready to go. Doesn't work now, so Ok fine - the email comes with the .ics file attached. Download or launch that file, Android doesn't know what to do with it.

I've been unable to find a way to associate .ics with Calendar. Seems like it should be simple - it is not. There are a few handler apps but none seem to work, but really, we need an app to create a file association?

Google has not helped, didn't see anything here. Seems like a pretty major hole. Anyone?

Regarding how this would work directly on your phone, I wouldn't have an answer because I've never been able to do what you stated directly from any of my android phones, and I've owned about 4-5. Now,what I can say is that I would normally complete this task from my gmail account on a pc. I would just go to the Calendar settings and import the .ics file as a new calendar. Now, what Google has done is included an option within gmail where you can add an invite directly to your calendar. Whenever you receive an invitation or any message that includes a date/time, you should be able to hover your mouse over it and you will see the information gets underlined and the words - "Add To Calendar" should be displayed. Click on it and you will have the option of adding this meeting/invite to your calendar and also make any changes to the entry at that time. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
>> Now,what I can say is that I would normally complete this task from my gmail account on a pc

Yes, I know how to do this on a pc. I'm only concerned with it on my mobile.

>> Are you using the gmail app or a different email app?

I'm using the gmail app. On my galaxy it seemed to be smart enough that clicking on the "Yes - No - Maybe" links would take me directly to Calendar, but now they just trigger the default web app. The .ics file is attached so I though I could just open that, but there seems to be no way to associate that extension with an app, which I find a bit bizarre.

Upvote 0
Looking to revive this thread...
Have EXACT same issue.

Client sends meeting invite - an ics file - from their Outlook desktop.
If I'm using gmail at my desk... no problem
If I'm traveling, using either my Android Phone or Tablet.... I get no emails... an ics attachment that can't be read...

This is a significant business productivity issue.
Miss a couple of more client meetings because I can't read the stinking appointment details....
and I won't have the money to buy "the next big thing!"

Upvote 0
How I fixed this - very simple. I was having this same exact problem on 2 separate devices, an Asus Zenfone 2 and originally on my LG G3. The only thing I did that made this work was I downloaded the "Google Calendar" app from Playstore located here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.calendar&hl=en
It appears that some carriers/Manufacturers use a 3rd party calendar that is not "Android or Google" made. Once I downloaded the Google Calendar, it all started working with zero ads popping up. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I am still able to use the 3rd party app if i choose but just having the google calendar makes the .ics open from gmail

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones