• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get Direct Dial and Direct Text shortcuts on X

And your definitely using the Motorola Widget?

I'm beginning to think a factory reset is in your future - LOL!! Have no idea why they are erasing/resetting themselves. Definitely wierd. Wish I could help, but I'm running out of ideas....

Ha ha ha...I did a factory reset already. Just got the phone Saturday, installed 2.2 immediately, and then did a factory reset before I put anything else on. It's weird. I did find that after they reset themselves, I can re-size them (bigger), and then re-size them back down again, and they will work...until I turn the phone off again.

Upvote 0
OK, Dawnierae, make a folder with your son's name on your homescreen (longpress, folder, new). Then make direct dial and direct text shortcuts using folder oganizer lite. Drag and drop the direct text and direct call icons into the folder.

Problem solved. :)

Why won't you try my suggestion? It does what you are trying to accomplish, one icon/folder on your screen that you press on to open, then select either direct call icon or direct text icon.

Upvote 0
Yes, but if you read my posts, you will see that I have done that, but when the phone is powered off and then powered back on, the shortcuts I have added "reset" themselves and they forget the tasks I assigned to them, and just take me to the person's entire contact information.

Ok, let me try this since I can not reproduce your exact problem any other way...

When you create a Quick Contact on your Home Screen and use it the first time...do you Enable One Touch Dialing For This Contact" prior to actually tapping the phone icon that is displayed in the same menu box...I have circled this in the picture below.

You must enable this feature by clicking the "check mark" which turns the check mark green, and then tap the green phone icon in the corner to set the quick task on that contact...be it phone or text, but it will only do 1 task automatically...

Please try this and see if it works...

Upvote 0
I second my frustration with this. I have tried this a million times and regardless what I do it continues to resize the widgets. Finally I just gave up on having a direct dial link on my homescreen. All I wanted was a icon that when I clicked it it called a specific contact number. I don't want all their contact info, I don't want to go into another folder.... I just want it to dial straitaway! I have check the box to make the mobile number the default. I'm running 2.2 with launcher pro:mad:

Upvote 0
I second my frustration with this. I have tried this a million times and regardless what I do it continues to resize the widgets. Finally I just gave up on having a direct dial link on my homescreen. All I wanted was a icon that when I clicked it it called a specific contact number. I don't want all their contact info, I don't want to go into another folder.... I just want it to dial straitaway! I have check the box to make the mobile number the default. I'm running 2.2 with launcher pro:mad:

What's frustrating about it? Use my method in the OP with Folder Organizer Lite. It will give you an icon on yout screen that will call your selected contact. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Launcher pro plus has a direct dial widget for contacts, thats what Im using now.

I want to be given the option when I touch the contact's picture, to text, call or email the person. Then if I touch call, the option to choose which number (home, mobile or work). This worked flawlessly on my incredible, but I can't duplicate it on my X. I'm using Launch-X now, and aside from having to choose one number for each contact picture, it's working. But I'd rather have it working the way I want. :D

Upvote 0
I want to be given the option when I touch the contact's picture, to text, call or email the person. Then if I touch call, the option to choose which number (home, mobile or work). This worked flawlessly on my incredible, but I can't duplicate it on my X. I'm using Launch-X now, and aside from having to choose one number for each contact picture, it's working. But I'd rather have it working the way I want. :D
Launcher Pro Plus does this: when you tap a contact's picture a bubble pops up that has up to 5 options to do for that contact. you can call (and a drop down with all numbers associated shows with the option to direct dial 1 number if u wish), text, email (drop down same as phone), get contact info (for sharing or editing), and even gchat/talk. works beautifully. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones