how to get HTC desire to work as a usb modem for laptop

Last Updated:

1. pandp1

pandp1 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi I'm new to the forum and to android phones - so apologies if this question is in the wrong place/basic!

I've been trying to connect my new HTC desire to my laptop (Dell inspiron 1300) to use the phone as a modem, and have been trying to get it to work with active sync which apparently only works for windows phones?! Oops.

Anyway now that I've been set straight, and got up to date HTC sync software on my computer i still cant get my laptop to run internet off my phone?

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious but any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

OK, I am running Open desire's 2.2 with sense custom rom. I hook up the phone through usb and in the USB 'mode' window theres an option to usb tether select that, wait a moment, it connects and i can open my pc browser. No sync or anything.
    BUT, I dont remember seeing that mode option in stock 2.1. I do remember there being an option in settings for usb tethering, that was greyed out unless the usb was connected. Have you got that running?

pandp1 likes this.
  3. pandp1

Sorry not sure what you mean by 'Desire's 2.2. with sense custom rom' - i'm a real novice here...:S is that something i need to download?

4. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

If the usb connection type menu appears when you plug in usb, select 'internet sharing', if it doesn't then drag down the black task bar at the top and tap the usb connection and this menu will appear.

kingkey and pandp1 like this.
  5. pandp1

I've done that, but when i open up my browser on my computer (firefox) it says page not found...

6. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

If you look under network connections in Windows you should see a separate Local Area Network Connection with HTC written underneath in the description. If you see that then it's a start.

pandp1 likes this.
  7. pandp1

Yeah I have that icon in my network connections and it says connected, but when i try to open a webpage it says firefoc cant establish connection with server at... Anything else I can try?

8. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

Have you installed the HTC Sync software that is on the phone? If not, here's an external copy of it - HTC Desire - Software Download

Just follow the steps and you should be connected soon enough.

Tim

pandp1 likes this.
  9. pandp1

Yeah I have done that but when I open it the only options are Sync now and Sync manager, and in the lower left hand corner it says disconnected - so is it not recognising the phone?

10. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

I couldn't get the built in USB tether to work at all nor any of the WIFI tether apps.

PDAnet however worked even if it's not as plug-n-play as i'd have liked.

11. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

You running a proxy? What firewall software do you have I reckon its that

12. pandp1

I have firefox set to auto-detect proxy and use avaast anti virus with the standard windows firewall

13. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

Are you doing Syncing or Internet Sharing when you plug in your phone (I believe there are four options).

HTC Desire - Using your phone as a modem (tethering)

Check that out - I followed that and it got me on really quickly and simply. However, I rooted my phone and am now using Froyo and I don't quite remember the program options. Sorry, but I can't help you more than that.

If you want wireless hotspot, you'll have to root. Seriously, I am so glad I rooted. Not only did I get an easy hotspot, but the applications run so much faster now. Totally worth it.

Tim

14. Ducky1974

Ducky1974 Member

Be careful about using the phone as a modem to your PC, this isn't covered (from what I've seen) by your 'free internet usage' on your tariff and you will get charged. Couple of people I know hooked up their Nokias as modems thinking it would be free and both got stung for nearly

15. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

16. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Well I know T-Mobile filters and compresses every image so it wouldn't surprise me if they were able to check what browser requests are coming from.

17. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

I'm also guessing it could be carrier related. 3 in Sweden hasn't ever charged me for tethering. I mean, isn't that the point of the phone? It says on the list of functions - tethering.

It'd be stupid for them to disallow such. I'd check, but that policy doesn't make any sense. Then again, I live in Sweden where it's a bit more liberal with the Internet.

Tim

18. erwin.apriandi

erwin.apriandi New Member

Same problem happen to me, i can not use my htc desire for internet sharing. previously it can but i don't know why suddenly the phone off by it self. and now it can not be use for internet sharing. all problem same with Pan