How to get Hulu on Google TV

Last Updated:

1. jdmnash

jdmnash New Member This Topic's Starter

Short answer: Playon Media Server

There's a free 14 day trial.
    Google TV is now an officially supported device.
    Access to Hulu and ESPN3 (depending on your isp) among about every other online video source.

Pricing:
    $40 for the first year, $20/year after that or,
    $80 one time fee.

It works great for me. The idea is you have a PC running in another room that acts as a media server, and Google TV is a client. You access the server via "gtv.playon.tv" from the browser within Google TV. You can also access all media from other supported devices (i-anything, ps3, wii, xbox, etc.)

Advertisement
  2. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

The exact URL is gtv.playon.tv I also have been using it through the trial and so far really enjoy it. Google claimed yesterday talks with the "Networks" are going well so hopefully this isn't a permanent fix. The one time fee is nice but I would wait it out I am constantly getting emails from a previous trial of playon I used when it first came out. You can get the lifetime for $40 every now and then. Also check yugster.com they have Playon deals quite frequently.

3. jdmnash

Thanks, fixed the typo. I got the premium license on sale for $40 (as an upgrade from basic which cost $20) The price I paid is about 4 months old though.

Tversity is a similar option. haven't used it though.

I feel like the 'talks with networks' will result in a monthly fee (hulu plus ring a bell?). The one time fee beats any monthly fee if you ask me, especially if playon comes out with an app in january that natively supports GTV.

4. StrifeJester

Yup I agree there is a lot of waiting to be done. Once the market hits there will be a lot of options I am sure and one of the other things to keep in mind is that the Revue comes with a DLNA media player. Right now it sees the library for PlayOn but does not have native support or play files properly. That may be coming soon.

5. jdmnash

I've had no trouble viewing content from playon on gtv:confused: It's an officially supported client on playons website. that was the whole point of this post. maybe your problems are unique to your setup?

6. StrifeJester

No I think what you missed is how I play them. I cannot use the Logitech media player is all. I can goto gtv.playon.tv and watch just fine. It would be nice though if I could use the media player then switching sources would be much easier. So far I love watching hulu on my GTV.