• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to get MMS working in Villain

I just read that orange MMS isn't working because it requires a username and password... unfortunately there is no field for "username" or "password" under the "Production" apn..

hi, i double checked my networks mms settings (orange uk) they say that a username and password are required. i had someone send me a mms, my phone asks if i want to download the message, but i still get a 'generic network faliure' message in the notification bar, and no mms. not the end of the world, is this a cdma/gsm issue (i'm a noob at all this)?

Thats from that MMSzap page pel linked to.

Idk if it's possible to somehow add those fields via ADB SHELL but I assume it's built into the firmware. I'm no expert. :\

Upvote 0
You've received a mms too?

Will try this tomorrow! :)

I've received an MMS. Not sure if the one I sent was received at the other end. Will need to check.

:)

EDIT: Just had a message from my better half, and she received the MMS I sent. So I can both send and receive MMS messages. I hope the guys on Orange can sort the issues they're having asap.

Reactions: SammyC
Upvote 0
are they what you used in mmszap?

Yeah jaffa, sorry mate I should have been more specific, what you need to enter in mmszap are as follows

MMSC, enter http://mms.orange.co.uk/

Enter the user name and password listed below.

• User name: Orange
  • Password: Multimedia
MMS Proxy, enter 192.168.224.10

MMS Port, enter 8080

Then press back key and it should update your APN settings :D

Upvote 0
Yeah jaffa, sorry mate I should have been more specific, what you need to enter in mmszap are as follows

MMSC, enter http://mms.orange.co.uk/

Enter the user name and password listed below.

• User name: Orange
  • Password: Multimedia
MMS Proxy, enter 192.168.224.10

MMS Port, enter 8080

Then press back key and it should update your APN settings :D

THANKS

And when you go into Settigs>Mobile Network>Access Point Names

How many Orange MMS options do you have and whats in the Following fields

NAME
APN
Proxy
Port
Username
Password
Server
MMSC
MMS Proxy
MMS Port
MMS Protocol
MCC
MNC
Authentication type
APN type

I have mmszap'd that data so If I can configure my APN the same as yours it shold work....

Upvote 0
Jaffa, I don't think changing the APN via the Settings menu will work at the moment on Villain. From what I understand the ROM is currently hardcoded to look at the Production entry in the telephony database rather than the list of APNs that it should be. It is a Sprint leaked ROM I think which would explain it being fixed to just that one hardcoded APN.

Upvote 0
Here's a funny thing. As I said, reinstalled the stock Orange HTC firmware to see if it would give me back the MMS settings etc. Looking in the APN directory, it had the green light next to the SMS, but not next to the MMS. I thought I'd try sending a picture to myself anyway.....and it worked.
Has anyone having problems actually tried sending a pic over MMS on 5.3, or have they done the same as I did and just assumed that cos that green light wasn't saying it was enabled, it wasn't ?

Later on today, I'm gonna do a complete wipe clean, reformat the sdcard and go with 5.3 again, see if the same happens

Upvote 0
Jaffa, I don't think changing the APN via the Settings menu will work at the moment on Villain. From what I understand the ROM is currently hardcoded to look at the Production entry in the telephony database rather than the list of APNs that it should be. It is a Sprint leaked ROM I think which would explain it being fixed to just that one hardcoded APN.

I have changed the "Locked settings via MMSzap, my 'Production' settings are now the same as Peloquins.. Still no Joy..

Upvote 0
Here's a funny thing. As I said, reinstalled the stock Orange HTC firmware to see if it would give me back the MMS settings etc. Looking in the APN directory, it had the green light next to the SMS, but not next to the MMS. I thought I'd try sending a picture to myself anyway.....and it worked.
Has anyone having problems actually tried sending a pic over MMS on 5.3, or have they done the same as I did and just assumed that cos that green light wasn't saying it was enabled, it wasn't ?

Later on today, I'm gonna do a complete wipe clean, reformat the sdcard and go with 5.3 again, see if the same happens

I have tried lots.. And its Broken!1

Upvote 0
I've received an MMS. Not sure if the one I sent was received at the other end. Will need to check.

:)

EDIT: Just had a message from my better half, and she received the MMS I sent. So I can both send and receive MMS messages. I hope the guys on Orange can sort the issues they're having asap.

Bingo! Working for me now too! :) Do you know what though, I had already tried these settings with no success originally.

I think the problem was because I'd changed my normal internet APN to get blocked sites to work. Basically, if you change the 3 APN in settings from 'three.co.uk' to '3INTERNET' it allows you to get full internet access and stops Three from blocking sites, however it seems that it then stops MMS's from working.

I'm wondering if the 'three.co.uk' APN is for phones and '3INTERNET' is for the USB dongles they are constantly pushing?

Upvote 0
SammyC,

could you jot down the settings you used? I'm on three aswell

First thing to check is that the APN in Settings->etc etc is set to three.co.uk (as it should be by default) and not 3INTERNET. Note this is the APN value not the Name value (Which on my phone is '3 UK Prepaid'). If you change it you have to do menu->Save rather than just back BTW.

Then you do the adb thing using the following values from Hordriss' post

Code:
update carriers set mmsproxy='217.171.129.2', mmsport='8799',  mmsc='http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc' where name = 'Production';

Then reboot.

Upvote 0
THANKS

And when you go into Settigs>Mobile Network>Access Point Names

How many Orange MMS options do you have and whats in the Following fields

NAME Orange MMS
APN orangemms
Proxy not set
Port not set
Username Orange
Password hashed out but i guess its multimedia
Server not set
MMSC http://mms.orange.co.uk/
MMS Proxy 192.168.224.10
MMS Port 8080
MMS Protocol WAP 2.0
MCC 234
MNC 33
Authentication type not set
APN type mms

I have mmszap'd that data so If I can configure my APN the same as yours it shold work....

Sorry for slow reply, bloody work...

the APN's i have are Orange & Orange MMS

Hope this helps

Pel

Reactions: Jaffa
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones