How to get mp3 ringtones onto CaptivateSupport

Last Updated:

1. Racktacular

Racktacular Active Member This Topic's Starter

My friend texted me his ringtone that is in mp3 format. I saved the MMS to my phone. Now where do I move that file in order for it to come up as an option to be a ringtone?

TIA!

-Rack

Advertisement
  2. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

As has been posted several times, you need to make a Ringtones directory on your microSD card.

melonary likes this.
  3. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

Not true that you need a ringtone folder. I have my ringtone in my Sounds folder.

To make a ringtone:

• File must be under 300kb
    • Click on file to play it.
    • In media player, click menu button (capacitive button on left)
    • Click "set as" and choose ringtone, etc.

4. Baldilocks

They don't have to be under 300kb. You can use any full song as a ringtone. I have several.

5. Android_J

You're also rooted, correct? I'm not rooted and cannot get a file over 300kb to be a ringtone. Samsung document says so as well.

6. ~Reaper~

~Reaper~ Well-Known Member

or use the free app i am using it is called

Rings Extended

free on the marketplace

GreatBigDave and MugetsuNoYoru like this.
  7. DT

DT Well-Known Member

That's interesting, that 'root' would lift that restriction. I just brought up the context menu for an MP3 file using Astro and under 'Music Options' it had 'set as ring tone' and it worked great (~4MB file, Creep by Radio Head :) )

8. Baldilocks

...and if you DO put them in a folder named Ringtones, they DO show up with all the other ringtones in Settings.

9. Android_J

I stand corrected. Just put music in Ringtones folder and all is good. :)

10. JxMxD

JxMxD New Member

Ringdroid from the App Market. Let's you make ringtones and notifications as well.

11. Racktacular

Racktacular Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the responses, as I am an iphone convert and am getting used too the android OS.

What if I don't have a microSD card? I currently copy/pasted the file to the SOUNDS folder. I don't see a ringtone folder anywhere.

Also is that the same process to make that file my audio sound on notifications?

12. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Ringdroid ftw.

13. Prim8

Prim8 Well-Known Member

I think I created one in the audio folder and put my ringtones in that.

14. DaMajorPayne

DaMajorPayne Active Member

You have an internal sd card in the phone. Just make a folder called Ringtones and drop your songs in there

J.Rawand likes this.
  15. penright

penright Member

I am new to smart phones period. I can not get my mp3 that was on my razor to work. It is 187k. I just tried the "astro" app (among many other sugestions) and when I pulled up the context menu, both "play" and "set ring tone" are greyed out and when I press either one nothing happens. If I click on it, it plays no problem. I have a Captivate. Anybody any thoughts?

16. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

Ringdroid in the market. Make your own ringtones and they go right to your sounds where the onboard ringtones are.

17. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Try copying it directly to the /media/audio/ringtones folder and then see if it's available as a ringtone (via contacts, etc.)

It's interesting you're getting the music context menu, but no available option to play or use as ringtone. It's almost like it's being recognized via the extension as an audio file, but then not once you get to the menu[?]

I'd also try just any other MP3 file, and also check out (mentioned a couple of times above) RingDroid as a solution for clipping part of an MP3 then saving it as either a Ringtone or Notification.

For hoots if you want to send me the MP3 to test on my end I'd be game too!

18. penright

penright Member

Great, how can I get it to you?

19. penright

penright Member

Now I am really confused, things are working this morning. I tried for days to get this to work. Now "Astro" is playing it on the context menu and it is showing up in the "ring tones" selections.

Things that happened/changed yesterday:
    1. I did try the hack for fixing the GPS. Changing some settings, but also rebooting. (maybe rebooting?)
    2. Downloaded "cardstar", and "barcode scanner" (don't' see how)
    3. AT&T adjusted some settings. (maybe ... I just got the phone Tuesday, yesterday I got an email saying I was over my limit. BTW, soap box on, my wife has Sprint and unlimited data, come on AT&T, in AT&T defense in my area does have better coverage, soap box off. I going there is no way I did 2 gig in 3 days, at least I hope not. Anyway we contacted our corp rep and something was not setup right on the account, maybe resetting the settings from AT&T restarted/refreshed something?)

Bottom line
    Thanks all for their time.

20. mratlndmrk

mratlndmrk Well-Known Member

I can confirm that this works. I had music on my SD card from my blackberry and I just had to copy the song I wanted as a ringtone to the folder listed above.

21. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Well, that's outstanding! I was going to say I copied the file over from my PC to the SGS via Bluetooth. Then long-tap selected it from the transfer folder (/sdcard/bluetooth) using Astro, got the proper Music Options, selected 'Ringtone' and all was just fine.

What I *did* notice: if the MP3 is not scanned by the media scanner process, the Music Options via Astro are "grayed out". There must be some flag/status_bit that gets set when an MP3 gets tagged by the media scanner that Astro uses to determine if it's a viable use-as-a-ring-tone type object.

When I placed your file - or any MP3 for that matter - into my /sdcard/media directory, that's marked as a 'No Media' location (since I don't want ringtones to appear in my music/media players), when I long-tap my Astro 'Music Options' are grayed out.

I bet your media scanner didn't pick up the file initially and the reboot forces a full rescan, which would sort of confirm what I suggested above (i.e., media scanner has to scan the item for it to be set as a ring tone using Astro).

Just glad you figured it out!

22. Mrshimkill

Mrshimkill New Member

Just bought a new samsung captivate and don't know how to set music as call ringtone or txt message ringtone

23. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Welcome aboard!

I'll move this thread to the appropriate forum so the other users with that phone can better assist you.

24. izmir41500

izmir41500 Member

I also use Ringdroid

25. izmir41500

izmir41500 Member

You can download the Ringdroid app to make your own ringtones and notifications.

There is another thread about how to use mp3 files that I didnt bother reading that you may want to look at by searching.