how to get shortcut to file or folder on desktop?General

Last Updated:

1. rfortson

rfortson Well-Known Member

How do I put a shortcut to a file or folder on my desktop? I have a pdf that I use regularly for work and I'd love to be able to quickly go to it from one of my home screens.

cloyd likes this.
  2. doniago

doniago Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a way for you to do this, at least not with the default launcher, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
  3. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

If you use Dropbox (and if you don't, why don't you?! :) ) you can create a shortcut to a Dropbox folder on your desktop.

Long Press on the home screen > shortcuts > dropbox > select folder.

It would be simple enough to create a dropbox folder to only contain those things that you want on your home screen. Having done that, you would be able to put items in that folder from any PC linked to your Dropbox.
  4. helpifIcan

helpifIcan Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    You will have to downlaod an app ES file explorer.
    Long press the file> scroll up to shotrtcut> tap and it puts it on your home screen
  5. RVDowning

RVDowning New Member

This was driving me nuts. Surprised I couldn't do it with the Astro file manager.
  6. comnut

comnut Member

ermm, ICS does not have the shortcut option.... :(

yes, you can select a widget shortcut to an app (on ICS, press 'apps' and find a widget..), but there is
    nothing to make a 'shortcut to *existing* folder' ..

that is on my Galaxy s3, others may be different??

the latest astro upgrade removed many good features.. :( get 'super backup' so you can save your apps before it happens to them!!! :)

"file widget" by madpato looks like a simple solution, if that's all you want..
    "file manager" by rhythm software is a very good filer, that will do a shortcut .. find the widget, drag to home, then you will get a menu for the folder you want a shortcut to..:)

or try 'go launcher' that takes a while to learn, but expands the functionality and display *massively*.. :)
  7. Patmagroin

Patmagroin Member

This worked for me thanks! It was a bitch to find the file on my sdcard though. They should make it a little easier to find the files on different memory sources (sd card, internal memory)
  8. helpifIcan

helpifIcan Well-Known Member

See if this helps you find files easier give file digger (free from the play store) a try. If not no cost just delete the app.
  9. philiptd

philiptd New Member

"File Shortcut" on the Play Store.
    tridom and peterc10 like this.
  10. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

File widget would not work for me, because I have all my documents on a micro SD card in the slot and it could not find the card! Used File shortcut and it works fine.

However need one that also puts a shortcut to a folder on the SD card. Anybody know of one?
  11. tridom

tridom New Member

Worked for me! Nice little utility app!
  12. MarkBarry

MarkBarry New Member

nice, but it only does file shortcuts, not folder shorcuts