How to get started building a Custom Rom

Last Updated:

1. getitnowmarketing

getitnowmarketing Well-Known Member Developer This Topic's Starter

My old friend Dsi from windows mobile days has created an awesome android kitchen. Version .85 now includes support for the first Non-HTC device which is the Ally. I used this kitchen to build the test rom to test the custom recovery with. I submitted the patches needed to build for the Ally and Dsi included them the next day in a new release. Please throw him a donation for his awesome kitchen that makes building a custom rom so easy. Link to his kitchen thread is here

Here is a completely 100% stock V08 rom I made to use as a base to get started.
    Download V08 Stock

Of course you have to use recovery-RA_GNM.1.13.img to be able to flash a custom rom.

Advertisement
  2. savoxis

savoxis Well-Known Member Developer

So... I havent had time to muck about with this but from what it looks like this tool supports "porting" whats stopping us from porting a 2.2 rom from say my room mates droid?

3. getitnowmarketing

getitnowmarketing Well-Known Member Developer This Topic's Starter

That part is really meant for similar devices like cdma hero and eris that other than kernel are mostly the same

Not saying a port wont boot but most things will be broken

savoxis likes this.
  4. zacwhite15

zacwhite15 Well-Known Member

ive actually tried it with numerous other ROM's both 2.1 and 2.2 and none of them work, i just get a boot loop. :(