how to get streaming audio browser links to work

Last Updated:

1. roc97007

roc97007 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm a subscriber to a show which I listen to on the PC while I work. I'd like to be able to listen to it on my new Droid X.

There are three links on the site. The first one streams to windows media player. The second link streams to real audio. The third link downloads a podcast in mp3 format. So far I haven't figured out how to get any of them to work.

The windows media link brings up a video player that says the file can not be displayed or played.

The RA link downloads an .ra file. Selecting the file brings up the stock music player, which says it can't play the file. (I do have the RA beta installed but it doesn't appear to be associated with .ra files and I don't know how to fix that. Are there mime types in android?)

The mp3 link gives the error "Cannot download. The content is not supported on this phone." Now that's just wrong. It's an MP3 file. The stock player should be able to play it.

I'm not greedy -- I'd be happy if any one of these three possibilities worked. Help?

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

it would help if you gave a link so we can try to help you. The windows and Real Audio files will never work on android. The mp3 should work, you may just have to download it instead of streaming it.

3. clonesr1

clonesr1 New Member

It sounds like the same show I subscribe to with windows media/real player links. I could paste the link but since it is a subscription site, it would not come up for anyone else.

4. imonhf

imonhf New Member

You can send me the link and I will try to make you an app.........
    Since I have been developing such an app in this term I hope that will work

imon

5. Grubynook

Grubynook New Member

I don't know what sites you all are talking about, but ThePhilHendrieShow.com provides content in three ways: flash video, streaming windows media, downloadable real player media.
    I have a samsung captive, and that allows me to use flash to watch the video. I don't believe the other vehicles work, but to tell the truth, I never investigated it too closely, as I use the video feed. Since he upgraded to a new video feed, however, that stream is a bit choppier than it was with the original video feed.
    I also have a rooted nook color, which generally works pretty well as an android device. Unfortunately, I cannot get flash installed on it, so I cannot watch the video. I cannot stream the windows media, either. I have been able to download the real player media, however, and the real player beta version plays those files quite well.
    It would be great to be able to stream the windows media on one or both of these devices. It would also be great if I could find some way to install flash on the nook.

6. Bob Sawyer

Bob Sawyer New Member

I have an LG Ally VS740 that has not been able to stream my scanner feeds from my icecast server since I did the Froyo update. Everything worked great until the update was performed. This is very frustrating because I paid a lot of money for the phone. In fact it is the only reason I bought the phone. Neither Verizon or LG will help me. They say it is an Android OS problem. If there is anyone out there who can help me I would appreciate it dearly. I am now paying for a phone that doesn't do what I paid for it to do.

7. Grubynook

Grubynook New Member

One step forward. The browser Skyfire will play streaming flash video contents from websites (as from the PhilHendrie site I mentioned above), but I am still looking for a way to be able to stream windows media player feeds. Does anyone know of anything that can stream that sort of content?

8. sitlet

sitlet Banned

You cant. Android doesnt support windows media.

9. sjamie

sjamie Well-Known Member

I too need a way to play .ra files on my phone. This is the only file type my church uses to post our sermons. Unfortunately, the Real Player app does NOT play .ra files!