How to get the most out of batterylife without rootingTips

1. T_I

T_I Member

Hello,

Last Wednesday I received the new company phone, or at least my choice of the set, being the lightest, (after ditching the previous Samsung windows mobile for a Nokia 6310i and later E51) and I have to say, it's a nice phone. Kinda bulky, but hey, that's what you get when they stuff all kinds of nice extras into it.

I however won't be using anything regularly, except for the dialer. Even messaging won't be used, as I have a private phone for this. What can I completely turn of or even better, remove, without rooting and thus violating warranty the device.

I've seen weather, stock exchange, email, browser. All can be default off or even removed. I've tried an app starter blocker, but the apps are getting started anyway. (which would probably drain battery this way, so kicked it of again)

At this moment i have:

• switched net usage to gsm only (no reception at home on the other)
    • disabled packet data
    • disabled background sync
    • disabled wifi, bluetooth, gps, vibrate
    The first charge lasted 1 day, but I've been installing via wifi and playing a bit with it. Is there any chance the device will reach the 610 hours standby time Samsung is advertising?

As I've seen complaints about 3-10 hours battery life, I guess I've been lucky with 1 day, but it would be very nice to get it up to 5 days, a work week, as I'll turn it of in the weekends anyway. It would be very nice to be able to charge it on Monday and use it till Friday.

I'm now draining the battery completely (put it in the laptop bag, sound off). With the Nokia N900 the device refuses to charge when the battery is completely dead. Is this a problem on the GS2?

Also, I was wondering, is there a way to immediately lock the screen and turn the screen off, instead of waiting for the time-out?

Greetings,

Jan Huijsmans

Advertisement
    :
  2. novemberwhiskey

novemberwhiskey Well-Known Member

5 days would be nice, but i don't know of any smartphone at this level that gets anywhere close to that.

My personal best on the Dx is 2 days, and I consider that amazing.

I think 2 days is perfect, because it gives you the ability to make to to an overnight charge, and more in case you have to miss one night. I see no reason to go days without charging if you can just plug in every 1-2 nights.
  3. T_I

T_I Member

Over night charging is no option, the phone will be in my bag overnight.

So to get the best out of it is to just turn it of when I go home and on when I arrive at work. If this is needed to get through the week I'm fine. (every day charging at work is a pain, as all USB ports are in use and the main outlets are almost impossible to reach)
  4. stokesd3

stokesd3 Member

You can lock your phone manually by pressing the button on the right hand side of the handset.

Unfortunately 5 days will always be pipe dreams. Keeping your display brightness low will help as that's the biggest killer but with light usage 3 days will be your lot I'm afraid. Additionally, try switching to flight mode if you're not bothered about using calls or data at that time. I personally use that at night so that I can use the alarm still.

Finally note if your company has enforced encryption settings on the phone that will also sap the battery dry :rolleyes:
    T_I likes this.
  5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

T_I likes this.
  6. T_I

T_I Member

I'll test the button, thanks. Using flight mode is also an option. Is there an app to set the phone to sleep mode or something like that and wake it up when needed? I can also just let is die and charge it the next morning at work. (which I did with the Nokias)

Investing in hardware for a company phone I won't be using outside company hours is not what I was planned, but I guess the link is useful for some colleagues who are willing to invest.

I'll keep records on the batterylife I'll get with the stock 6.11 Wh battery.
  7. Tinderbox (UK)

There is an app called "Green Power" , I bought the full version myself , if has an night mode, that you can turn of all wifi gps and alike or you can use flight mode.

It gets good reviews

https://market.android.com/search?q=green power&so=1&c=apps

8. loony

loony Well-Known Member

get an extra battery (or 2)? they dont cost oo much and some come with a little charging dock for them too. might be a pain to swap them around but you wont have to wait for the charge :)
  9. Tinderbox (UK)

Have you seen how flimsy the battery door is, I can just see those clips breaking off :eek:

I love how light the SGS2 is though.

10. T_I

T_I Member

Green power is nice, but it toggles wifi on and off, i want is really of. It could be a nice tool, but it's not 'off till I turn it on'.

Switching batteries is not something I would like to do often if it's my phone. The back cover is just to flimsy. I'll try if my boss is willing to pay for the battery. When I'm going to invest it's going to be a dual sim phone. (non smart ;) )
  11. loony

loony Well-Known Member

12. Tinderbox (UK)

Nice video loony, I did not realise the back cover was that strong :eek:
  13. loony

loony Well-Known Member

yeah, put my mind at ease when choosing what phone i wanted. but im not gunna test it out like that guy lol
  14. T_I

T_I Member

Good to see the backcover is flexible enough to withstand this kind of usage.

BTW the battery is stil not empty, after 2 days. (less then 30% remaining after I stopped playing with it on Friday :D ) Looks like I got the trick to save battery power.
  15. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

I remember the first time I removed the back from my new SG2 and heard those horrible clicks as I pulled it away from the body. Was really unhappy about how flimsy the back was till I put it back on and saw how well the whole thing worked.

I can not complain about any of the build quality on the SG2, it is as good as it gets.:p
  16. T_I

T_I Member

At this moment I'm pretty pleased with the phone, it fit's in the side pocket of the laptop bag, and at the moment It's been on from 30% charge down for over 2 days and 14 hours. (This was after finally getting a backup from it via Kies)
  17. Baines93

Baines93 Active Member

Could you not just remove the root and flash the "flash counter" in the phone so that it appears to never have been flashed before, if and when you need anything warranty related?

I reckon if you rooted it you could freeze tons if you only want basic usage... that would probably more than double your two/three days.
  18. ajh94

ajh94 Well-Known Member

My record is 3 days and 13 hours... I had just about everything off unless i was using it at the time
  19. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw Well-Known Member

WOW, that's great and reassuring about the battery cover! I won't be able to try it myself until Sprint gets the S II in the USA....but maybe not even then....
  20. T_I

T_I Member

I've disconnected the phone from the charger last Monday, 7:00 (local time) and just now (16:30) it passed the 70% charge level. Also everything of, phone limited to gsm only. This is with installing 2 apps via data packet service and a very short time playing with the mobile wifi AP.

I'm pretty pleased, It could even last 2 weeks with my usage. (approx 1-2 calls per working day, completely ignored otherwise)

I noticed the background sync being the biggest power consumer. Even with all data connections turned of it still tried to sync. (costing lots of power for not)
  21. Scainer

Scainer Active Member

I discovered the same thing. Its crazy how much android eats when left unrestrained.
    Its a little inconvenient to always do manual updates, e.g. weather, mail,etc
    But....the battery life gain is staggering.

The reason I discovered this was because my speakers wouldn't shut up, due to the data connection sound.
    I believe that even when the data is switched off the android OS tries to connect. It may try several times until it gives up. This in my opinion is why the battery gets eaten by the android OS.
    By switching off background sync, the OS doesn't try to sync and this saves battery.
    In a way i'd love an option for sync intervals directly for the OS, just as apps have.
    desaputra likes this.
  22. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

yes, i believe what you're referring to is this [​IMG]Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 USB Jig-RESET FLASH COUNT TO 0 | eBay

apparently, though, there's another hidden counter on top of this one lol
  23. T_I

T_I Member

Indeed. The manual updates aren't a problem here. It's the company phone and I use the phone to be called by colleagues or call them. However, I just discovered the wifi hotspot option and it's usefull, when needed. I guess it'll eat lots of battery life, but when needed, it's useful. (due to the unlimited data pack on the phone)

I'm going to try to reach next Friday afternoon with the charge it has now.
  24. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member

I used "Timeriffic" on my Hero and it worked seamlessly. Really helped battery time...

Gonna download it for My S2
    loony likes this.
  25. loony

loony Well-Known Member

thanks randy, looks good.
    i got "tasker" and "llama" but still havent figured them out yet :/ this looks very good for what i was chasing.