• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to get visual voicemail for the Atrix?

Welcome to Android.

Some carriers offer visual voice mail for a fee. An easy way to get FREE visual voice mail is to use googe voice. Not only will you get visual voice mail, but you can READ your voice mail, and listen to them online.

You need to sign up for google voice. It should be pretty easy to find the setup instructions once you do. You dial a specific number and you hand off all of your voice mail services to google voice (i.e. when people call your at&t number, google voice intercepts the voice mail instead of at&t's voice mail service).

Post back if you need more help :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys.

I already have a Google Voice account. I don't really use it though.

So basically I need to forward my cell # to google voice and the voice will send all calls back to me but if I don't pick up google voice will? Is that right?

I should not port my number to google right?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
No there is another setting where it forwards to google voice for voicemail only from your phone. You got most of the idea but not exactly going at it the right way. Last android I had all you had to do is install google voice and it will reconfigure your stuff for voicemail threw google voice way you want it to easily

-illusion

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys.

I already have a Google Voice account. I don't really use it though.

So basically I need to forward my cell # to google voice and the voice will send all calls back to me but if I don't pick up google voice will? Is that right?

I should not port my number to google right?

Thanks again.

No. You don't forward your calls to google voice. Nor do people need to start calling your google voice number. You do not need to port your number.

You basically dial a special number which enables google voice to handle JUST your voice mail with people calling your at&t number.

Upvote 0
how does porting your number work with text messages? I have people text my google voice number to get "free unlimited texts" If i ported my nnumber would at&t then see them as texts rather than data?

Whatever you do DON'T port your number

With text messages you've got several options.

1. Use your google voice number for texts + Your normal number AT THE SAME TIME
2. Use JUST your google voice number for texts.
3. use Just your normal number for texts, and ignore google voice.

You are able to do just about any of these options with tweaking of your notification settings within the apps.

If you don't tweak your notifications right you might end up getting 2 Notifications for the same text because the messages App will be texting you by default and So will the google voice app, depending on which numbers your choosing to use.

Upvote 0
Google Voice, use your gmail account assuming you have one to setup an account and then set it to not make calls with it. You can download it off the marketplace.

I have Google Voice, and have had it for a while for use in a browser. As far as I know though, it isn't possible to have Google Voice retrieve my AT&T voicemails. If that's incorrect, then how?

I realize with GV that I could give out the GV number and it would record/transcribe voicemails to the GV number. But, I want voicemail/notifications of voicemail when voicemail is left for my regular AT&T number.

Upvote 0
I have Google Voice, and have had it for a while for use in a browser. As far as I know though, it isn't possible to have Google Voice retrieve my AT&T voicemails. If that's incorrect, then how?

I realize with GV that I could give out the GV number and it would record/transcribe voicemails to the GV number. But, I want voicemail/notifications of voicemail when voicemail is left for my regular AT&T number.

You can bind Google Voice to your real AT&T #, and it will take over voice mail for it after you confirm it with the phone. You will make calls with your real number, and it will be your visual voice mail.

Set the app up on your phone and the wizard will walk you through it.

Reactions: electronaut
Upvote 0
I have a google voice number which is set to forward to my ATT mobile number.. So can I set up Google voice to manage voicemails for both these numbers at the same time?

If your GV number is forwarding to your cell number it does not need VM as whatever service your cell phone is using will become your GV number VM.

So if you are using GV for your cell phone VM, then both numbers are using GV voicemail. Just setup GV on your cell, let it do its thing and tweak to your preference on the GV website.

Upvote 0
I'm attempting to set up google voice on my Atrix, and every time I get to the config step, the app appears to crash with this message:

"The application Google Voice (process com.google.android.apps.googlevoice) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

I'm coming from an iPhone and I verified that I'm on regular voicemail (not visual), and I've already tried reinstalling the voice app. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I was getting the same error, I just got my Atrix on AT&T... I think I solved it by logging into my google voice account on my laptop, selected voicemail from the sidebar, and then selected setting from the top bar. I was then presented with my phone info. and a multi digit number to call. Once I called the number, I received a network message that my voicemail was now forwarded. I was then able to record my greeting. I'm still getting the "forwarding number change unsuccessful" under call setting if I press Google Voice again, but it seems to be working... guess I'll have to have someone leave me a voice mail and see. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones