• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get wireless tether on my EVO?

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Sorry for this noob question, but I've tried searching this and other android forums for this info and there's so much info and it's confusing the hell out of me..

Anyway, I have a stock EVO with the latest OTA update (software version: 1.47.651.1) and it has never been rooted. All I want to do now is be able to use wireless tether (with multiple laptops) via my EVO. What is the easy/best way to achieve this?

I know the first thing I need to do is root the EVO. Should I do this using Unrevoked, or using something like SimpleRoot? For my purposes, what's the difference b/t these two methods?

Next, is wireless tether an app that I have to download somewhere? If so, which is the best one (if there are more than one). Or will this feature surface automatically after rooting the phone. Or does it come on some ROM that I need to flash?

And finally, what is this Radio/WiMax patch thing that everyone is trying to put on their phone?

Thanks.

You can still root even after the OTA update, just not using Unrevoked. I did mine manually, but supposedly SimpleRoot now works with the OTA. I'm not sure if it unlocks the NAND for custom ROMs and the like.

Beyond that, for a full root and NAND unlock, this guide will probably help (I used two different ones I can't find offhand -- see the Root subform for more info):

[TUTORIAL] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + videos - xda-developers

Once rooted in some fashion, you should then be able to get a wireless tether from the market. Some ROMs (like Fresh) include a wireless tether by default.

EDIT: Oh, regarding the radio patch. It basically upgrades the cell/wimax radio software for better performance/reception/battery life/bug fixes/etc. Different versions have different logs, so you'll have to look up the changelogs.

Upvote 0
Either pay for Sprint's branded service or root (gain "admin" rights) and then you can install Wifi Tether. The "root" forum here as well as forums on xda-developers list multiple ways to root. Basically you need superuser rights to access the relevant system files and install that program. Sprint's paid app has those rights or you can use one of the multiple ways to get those rights on your own so you can install a wireless tethering app.

Rooting is not hard but if for whatever reason you don't want to set yourself up as a superuser, you can still use programs like PDANet for USB tethering.

Personally, I tend to root my phones eventually but I'm currently lazy and waiting for a full Froyo ROM before I root and flash. For the time being I am settling for USB tethering. I tend to use that anyway since it charges while tethering. If I needed wifi tethering I would probably just root and install it. Sprint charges too much for the amount of time I would be using it. It would be nice if they had wrapped wifi tethering in with their "true unlimited" and "premium" data pack but I guess you gotta keep the stock holders happy ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones