How to go back to 2.1 from 2.2?

Last Updated:

1. thebarbrr

thebarbrr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am having some problems with 2.2 and want to know if i can revert back to 2.1? i have searched and read somewhere that you need and update.zip of 2.1 but can't find it

Advertisement
  2. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

3. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

if you are rooted you can load up rom manager and flash back that way.

4. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Is it really that simple with rom manager? so i guess you'd lose root after the stock rom is restored.

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Yes, if you restore stock (unrooted), you lose root privileges, but if you revert to a stock (rooted) then you keep root.

ROM Manager has both rooted and unrooted options for both the 2.0.1 and the 2.2 (FRG01B) ROMs.

He does not seem to have the 2.1 stock image in there anymore, at least not from what I am seeing.

6. Namrepus221

Namrepus221 Active Member

Is the SBF 2.1update1 or is it just like 2.1 without the update1 part to it?

7. johnlgalt

Did not pay that much attention - let me look and see if I got any screen captures when I did it last.

8. johnlgalt

Nope - I didn't.

9. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

What problems are you having? 2.2 has a lot more going for it than 2.1. I'd at least wait for the second "update" to 2.2 to roll out before reverting.

10. johnlgalt

Stagefright, for one - it is corrupting decoding of AAC streams, which are used by Pandora, Slacker, and lots of other online radio stations....

11. TharOosta

TharOosta Well-Known Member

I wanna do this too. Froyo sucks!

12. Fauxreal

Fauxreal Member

My phone has run really slow and laggy since forcing the 2.2 update. My task killer had never shown any less then 70M available, and now runs at about a steady 35M. It is painfully slow and murders the battery. I used to easily get two days use without a charge, now I need to charge it before I even go to bed. Someone should be my hero and post a guide how to get back to 2.1 I still have the update.zip for 2.1 if that is all I need let me know!

I also saw Strifejester posted that this SBF recovery file was needed: http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/OEM/VZW_A855_ESE81_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.03P_SW_UPDATE.sbf
    But I have no idea what to do with the file. Any help would be great!

13. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

wow really guys?

froyo is epic better for me. Much much faster and more options, on both Stock builds of froyo and custom ones.

I would give it a bit more time before doing something as drastic as flashing an .sbf back to 2.1

O' and you use RSDlite to use the .sbf file, and it is going to completely wipe your phone. like out of the box for the first time wipe.

14. Fauxreal

Fauxreal Member

Well mine certainly isn't any faster, it quite drastically slowed my phone down, no number of reboots has helped at all and I only have 4 apps installed. Though it shows about every single app the phone came installed with running no matter how many times I kill them, and have never opened one, they just constantly run. Most of the features that 2.2 came with are useless to me anyway. Think I will just pull the trigger and finally root it tonight. Or throw the f***ing thing out the window..whichever comes first.

15. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

O' that might be the problem, some task killers are not ready for Froyo check with the dev/try and disable it.

and I'm sure you've heard this before, but they conceptually make zero sense on an Android phone and they can actually hurt your performance even when working correctly, if they are set to auto kill. Since, the apps "running" in the background aren't actually using CPU cycles or battery, but pulling them out of memory "killing" them does. You can actually waste system resources killing things that aren't using any resources.

in general everyone should check the compatibility of their apps with Froyo if people are having problems

Fauxreal likes this.
  16. Fauxreal

Fauxreal Member

I actually read something very similar to that right after my last post and have since removed the task killer. Cant say I have noticed any difference other then a blank spot on the home screen so far. But if a factory reset doesn't do anyting when I get home later I am gonna root it and push it up to 1Ghz and see if its not snappy again after that. I hope the reset at least fixes the battery issue which most people seem to report did.

17. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

I do tend to forget that stock phones are not running at the speed mine is because of this as well, not just froyo.

good luck though. the root community for the droid is excellent and helpful so thats at least nice :p