How To guide for getting the new updateTips

Last Updated:

1. cartisdm

cartisdm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For those of you out there that don't want to wait for the OTA or if you're rooted and need to get the ROM from the RUU, I created a simple step-by-step guide for doing it. The file is a PDF document:

Update_Guide.pdf

If anyone notices any problems or has any suggestions, please let me know and I'll make changes

Enjoy!

EDIT: I just thought I would also mention that the guide includes all the links to the files you will need to update/root

Advertisement
  2. Stupifier

Stupifier Well-Known Member

I dunno...this update doesn't seem that important for me to jump on. I'll just wait till it falls in my lap.

Thanks anyways

3. cartisdm

I was having a horrible problems with 3g signal dropping, my GPS taking me all over the world, text message threads opening incorrectly, and my messages randomly getting cleared. So far the problems are fixed and this kernel seems even faster than previous!

I highly recommend to anyone else that was having these problems.:cool:

4. ctc

ctc Well-Known Member

I'm rooted but am running the stock 2.2 ROM. Won't I be able to install this OTA when I get prompted?

5. cartisdm

I'm not sure, I haven't come across a straight answer from anyone yet. Two advantages to doing this:

1. Get it now without waiting

2. Completely wipe device and start with fresh files

However, I did find out that there is a difference with the new SDLC screens. So if you have one of these, let me know and I'll point you to a different Clockworkmod download location.

6. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

if rooted. you must have stock recovery to get the OTA. this can be done by running a recent RUU and un-rooting, BUT keeping it at S-OFF so you can just re-root after the OTA update.... same as before ya'll

7. cartisdm

Perfectly said.

8. ctc

ctc Well-Known Member

A recent RUU like the one that contains the latest update?

I didn't root til after 2.2 so I dunno what I'm doing :)

9. cartisdm

Yeah, check in your hboot to be sure you have S-Off then just run the RUU listed in the guide. It will reload to back to stock everything (2.2 + the latest update) then you can easily re-root.

10. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

@cartisdm - THANK YOU FOR THE PROCEDURE. I am rooted with stock 2.2. I guess I'm gonna wipe the phone and do the SUU thing. I did the OTA then rooted with UnrEVOked originally. It's time to start fresh anyway

Your guide has a few issues:

1. There is no need to install both payload_update and su-x.x.x.x. The latter has it all and is a signed install ready for installation.

2. Your link leads to an old Clockwork. The current one (for a couple of months) is 2.5.0.5.

3. Your link to the su package is old. The latest is su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip.

11. JLCongdon

JLCongdon Member

I ran the update that was pushed instead of doing this. I am rooted so there are some issues with my phone. Does anyone have any advice to fix this?

12. JLyndon

JLyndon Member

Sorry for the noob question, but how do I know which screen I have? I've read that the SLCD screens are used whenever the AMOLED screens are unavailable, but both are still in production.

13. cartisdm

Not a dumb question at all actually. I did some Googling and the best I could come up with is the following:

14. JSS12

JSS12 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to do this method on a Mac??

15. cartisdm

No, the instructions for this guide only apply to Windows OS. You won't be able to perform the steps on a Mac.

There are ways to do the update using a Mac, I just don't know them off the top of my head. I'd suggest some quick Googling and if you don't see anything create a thread in the Help and Troubleshooting sub-forum ;)