• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to hang up on one of two callers?

voith

Lurker
Jan 21, 2010
Hi all,

I have had my sprint HTC Hero for some months now and love all the neat apps I can load. BUT... the actual telephone app seems dysfunctional. I imagine the telephone function is built in and probably cannot be fixed by the average developer and maybe this is also a function of the carrier (sprint in this case).

PROBLEM:

When I have multiple calls my Hero interface provides no easy mechanism to hang up on one caller only. It has just one "End call" virtual button and pressing this drops the entire call interface.

So for example if I accept a call waiting then the prior caller is placed on hold while I talk to the interrupting caller. When I am done talking to the interrupting caller I have only the option to "End call". Pressing this will drop the entire call interface. What happens next depends ...

IF I have hung up on the interrupting caller before they hang up on me then I will still have someone on hold (but nothing shows this). Some seconds later (like 5) the system realizes I still have someone on hold and rings as if a new call. Clunky but at least it works.

IF the interrupting caller manages to hang up before my "End call" registers then the phone ends the only remaining active call which is of course the person on hold. No indication of this either except I wait 5 seconds and realize my phone is not ringing. The lag time on the HTC hero is so large that this happens just about half the time.

IF I don't hang up at all but instead just wait for the interrupting caller to hang up then the phone will put up a new screen that shows that the person who just hung up is still active, the person on hold is on hold, but in fact I will be connected to the person listed as "on hold". So the interface is wrong but at least I have not hung up on the holding caller. In this case it is very unclear if my call waiting slot is free or not. I have had people unable to call when I thought the phone was connected to just one person. Effectively the call waiting slot seems already occupied when in fact it is not. Don't know if this consumes double minutes or not.

To me this seems like an event driven system without a properly deterministic event handler. Or perhaps there is really no way for the phone's understanding of call waiting to by synchronized with the carrier's.

Almost done ranting...

Lastly, while making a call the screen seems to stay active for its full timeout period so that my cheek can sometimes press a virtual button and end the call. I would love it if I could press a button to de-activate the screen sooner but unfortunately that button also terminates the call. Wasn't there supposed to be some mechanism that detects that the phone is cheek bound and deactivates the screen? Could use a manual way do force this.

So...

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed elsewhere.

Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me (or just sprint)?
Did I miss the thread that already discusses this?
Is there something obvious that I am missing?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Red_cheeks, Thanks I never would have found that app by myself. I installed it and selected CDMA (curious how that factors in but considering my hangup problem I am not now surprised). Worked on a test call, I will give it a try.

InstantKarma, true, and you know ... (wait I have to take a call).

Upvote 0
I had the same problem too, as I often conference people in for tech support...
To hang up on the active call, hit the talk button, the green one on the left for HTC hero users. I tried useing the red one , on the right and it hangs up all calls everytime, same for the virtual button too, use the talk button, it works!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones