1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How to hit ENTER when texting?Support

1. EKG

EKG Well-Known Member

Maybe I am just stupid and not seeing this but....is there no key to hit enter/new line on the stock keyboard?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Lohung

Lohung Well-Known Member

Yes there is. .. it looks like a bent arrow. Like a turn sing that goes show and turns to the left (towards the key board)
  3. Mr. Poppalopolis

Mr. Poppalopolis Well-Known Member

I don't think the stock SMS app supports it, as the return key is replaced with a smiley button which I never use. I want to go back to Handcent just for that but the stock ICS apps are all really good so I have no other reason to. Maybe we'll see some ROMs or mods soon for this.

So my advice is if you really need this try another texting app like Handcent or ChompSMS.
  4. EKG

EKG Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that that is the tab button.

Ah yeah this is what I was afraid of. Bummer! I don't want to go to Go SMS or any other replacements so I guess I will just have to make do.
  5. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

I found out yesterday that the stock sms app couldn't do enter, how lame.
  6. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing...it is completely dumb that its not on the stock keyboard .

Hopefully Google adds it in an update. Sorry I don't use Smiley faces Mr Google engineer...
  7. phantomash

phantomash Well-Known Member

this! I couldn't believe they replaced the Enter button with the smiley, which I am guess only a minority group would be using them. It's a little minor annoyance that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.
  8. e24412

e24412 Member

There is an "Ice Cream Sandwich Keyboard" app that was made from a dump of an earlier build of the keyboard - I actually prefer its vibration feel by a lot, and it doesn't suffer from the landscape lag that the stock ICS keyboard does. It has the enter button when texting instead of the smiley face, but the enter button actually sends the text rather than going to a new line.

Swiftkey keyboard has a new line function that you can access by long-pressing its smiley key, but I really don't like anything else about that keyboard.
  9. hippoCAT

hippoCAT Member

Thumb Keyboard also has an enter key. Problem is that the stock SMS app in ICS no longer has the option to disable enter from sending messages. This option was in Gingerbread; no idea why they would take it out. I am guessing since the stock keyboard does not have an enter key they didnt find it necessary =/
  10. Prof Droid

Prof Droid New Member

In Gingerbread Enter button is missing in the SWYPE texting mode. Once you change to multi tap yes the enter key will return...
  11. FahdR

FahdR Active Member

Found a way in Jelly Bean.
    Use templates (messaging in app settings)

1- Leave the first line blank and in the next enter a random character. (it requires at least one char, i use "-")
    2- set an easy gesture to signal the template (i use a mirrored L)
    Done.

Now use gesture to signal template and delete the random character.

Its an extra step but beats having to buy/learn a new keyboard or messaging app.

Hope this helps.
  12. andalusia

andalusia New Member

I don't know if this has already been discovered by anybody anywhere, but I'm using Jelly Bean (don't know if this applies to ICS) but to press enter you press Shift and then the smiley key switches to Enter. I only just found this out after months of agony wondering why they removed the Enter key but now that I've found it I feel like a fool!

Hope this helps others. Shift+Smiley Key=Enter.
    hippoCAT likes this.
  13. rjack22

rjack22 Member

Long press on the smiley button. The next screen that pops up has the return (enter) key.
  14. andalusia

andalusia New Member

Not for me it doesn't. Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus just has a few more smileys.
  15. rjack22

rjack22 Member

I am on a Nexus running Jelly Bean stock. When I long press on the smiley in the stock messaging program I get a screen with a lot of smileys BUT under my finger where I long pressed is a return key! Look under your finger.
  16. andalusia

andalusia New Member

How puzzling.. I can't find that at all. I'm on an International Galaxy Nexus so perhaps that changes things slightly..
  17. Tallmike00

Tallmike00 Active Member

On my Galaxy Nexus, I figured out how to get the return key. Press on Shift and when your QWERTY keyboard goes to all caps, it replaces :) with the symbol for return. On mine anyway.
    iron_city likes this.
  18. kazemgh

kazemgh New Member

I dont know it works for others or not.
    Im using 4.2.2 and had same problem.
    in MSG tap SETTING
    end of list tap on Soft keyboard type
    Here you have option to enable enter key.
  19. firebird274

firebird274 Member

Confirmed, just hit shift once and the smiley turns into an Enter button.

Attached Files:

20. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

Ya, same thing for swype. So, the rare times I need to do this I just open up Office Suite and type it there and then cut and paste
  21. joesixpack

joesixpack Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is a JBS thing or not, but here's what I did:

Go to settings (in the stock messaging app) and press Soft Keyboard Type. Change it to Show the Enter Key (instead of Show the Emoticons Key) and the Enter key will be there without having to shift.
  22. rfdong

rfdong Well-Known Member

I don't see soft keyboard type anywhere. On 4.2.2
  23. kaiyoh

kaiyoh New Member

Press Shift key for the enter key. The smilies key turns into a enter key.
  24. mporter88

mporter88 New Member

Worked for me after installing the Google keyboard...
    but not until after a restart of the device.