HOW TO: Increase battery life DURING USE, 20-30% using set CPU.. no compromises!!Tips

Last Updated:

1. ImaYam

ImaYam Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

FOr the past few days Ive been doing a few experiments, and amongst formating my mem card, turning off GSM radio, 4g, and only having data-on-demand, I was able to get my Evo to run continuously for about 16-18 hours at a time.

THis includes:
    --automatic refresh of data such as email, and weather,
    --30 mins of pandora+music player,
    --about 30 mins of games like reckless racing, waveracer, robo defence, mathworkout..
    --30 minutes of daily phone use
    --30mins to an hour of text messaging total throughout the day
    --about an hour on the internet, including some flash heavy sites like youtube, the onion, and yahoo Finance.
    --Screen set to 40% (the second setting on the power control widget)

I wouldnt say that thats the heaviest Ive used my phone for, but its fairly higher than "average" from what ive read on the forums.

SO in the current quest of ever increasing battery life, i realized that most of the tasks I used up there^^ I dont need my CPU to run at full speed.

However, I didnt want to compromise speed when gaming or watching videos. So after some testing I seem to have the optimal (but with room for adjustment) of set CPU clocks so that I dont have to constant change settings.

[​IMG]

i recommended everyone with an evo+setCPU try these out.

After running with this for a 3 days, I can safely say that i went form 16hours uptime to a steady 18-21 hours without needing a charge, without changing my habits, and not losing speed when gaming or watching videos!

What this does is that when you are watching videos or playing a game{about a minute into each activity} triggers the profile to run the cpu at max clock, and when you exit, the temp drops and so does the clock.

The first profile is to prevent phone damage, so that rarely gets triggered, usually just when Im sleeping on my phone while its charging or i forget to close apps and leave it under my pillow at night :).
    #2 is self explanatory.
    #3 is adjustable, I like numbers between 37-39 because thats the threshod games and high powered videos easily raise the temp of my phone to.
    4 is key, as thats the "norm" at whch my phone functions at. I get almost no lag, but its flawless when pages have fully loaded. AGain, drop this or raise this, but the sites I visit dont request much more.
    #5 is always set to full when its charging simply so I can game while its charging.

Post your results!

Advertisement
    AYHJA likes this.
  2. ImaYam

Reserved real estate for future edits.

3. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

You should also mention the kernel you are running. Some of the custom kernels with HAVS and other tweaks don't necessarily need setcpu.

4. ImaYam

Stock everything. Only mod was unrevoked root.

5. flonkas

flonkas Well-Known Member

Ineresting, will try this outt and post results.

6. nvygw171

nvygw171 New Member

How did you get the screen off minimums so low.
    I can only get mine down to 245 max 245 min.

7. ImaYam

To be honest im not sure. I installed setCPU before I rooted, and IM pretty sure I made the profile before setcpu has permissions to read what are my phones capabilities and saved the profile.

After root, setCPU wouldnt read my clocks that low, but the profile was already saved. I think the max at the time before root was 512 or something like that.

19-512 Before root
    245-998 after root.

8. shandroid

shandroid Well-Known Member

Hmmm, i tried messing w/profiles but my phone didn't like it too much, just w/ a simple screen/off profile. Uninstalled/reinstalled and set it to auto, might play more if my battery life starts to suffer....

9. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

I had that problem due to a voice caller id app. When the screen off profile was set to min/max 128MHz, it'd choke when i got a call (guess there wasn't enough processor power to bring up the call along with voice caller id). I had to set the screen off profile back down to 248MHz min for it to work correctly.

10. xadidas4lifex

xadidas4lifex New Member

What rom are you using?
    and what kernel?
    cause i would love to get that many hours out of my evo... lol

11. ansaluna87

ansaluna87 Active Member

so does the Evo have to rooted?

12. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

I believe he said stock - with perflock disabled obviously, otherwise it's not actually doing anything. I highly doubt the OP meant he was getting 18-21 hours of awake time - probably just time since unplugged.

Yes.

13. shandroid

shandroid Well-Known Member

What does perflock do? Should you disable it if running a non-stock ROM?

14. akazabam

Perflock prevents you from changing the CPU frequency. You should disable it if you're running a non-stock *kernel*. Some ROMs still use the stock HTC kernel, which must have perflock disabled. Most developers disable it in their kernels, though.

15. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I <3 SetCPU

No compromises!!

rdub53 likes this.
  16. ImaYam

18-21 hours is me using the phone with those activities up there^^ before needing a charge!

Awake time is like 70 hours, which is irrelevant.

17. frenchy714

frenchy714 Well-Known Member

I'm a bit skeptical/intrigued. Can you please provide a screen shot of your batt stats.....?

18. ImaYam

This was taken at 5pm, and I havent charged it from the night before (around 7pm i think).

Attached Files:

19. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

The attached photo doesn't mean much. A photo of what it says after you click on what been using the battery is what proves if the above set up works.

20. akazabam

You could have also charged the phone several times since the last boot with that screenshot. I'm not saying you did, but...

21. ssweet97

ssweet97 Active Member

How do you get to those settings on the above screen?

22. ImaYam

YOu have to root your phone. PLug it in, install the windows Android drivers (found on unrevoked.com) and root using unrevoked. Then install SETcpu from the Android Market! The app is excellent, and is well worth 1.99, or you can download it free if you are a member of the XDA forums.

23. wxforecaster

wxforecaster Member

I guess I'm more than a bit confused by the setCPU interface. Running v2.1.0 here.

On the "Main" tab, should anything be set there? scaling is ondeman with "Set on Boot" unchecked.

Profiles tab I have for now set like above.

Advanced tab I have Set on Boot unchecked and the default values of 40,000, 95, 0 and 0. Not sure what any of these mean or do.

Is there anything I need to do if I reboot my phone or does this launch automatically?

Thanks in advance.

24. ImaYam

MAke sure you have it 'set on boot', however, if your phone isnt rooted with a rom, you will have to disable perflock manually (menu button>disable perflock).

I keep the sampling rate at 20,000. Pretty much, for every application, it starts the CPU at maximum load, and then scales down by 20000 cycles continuously until it finally gets to the optimum level for running the app/task.

Something LIKE this is what your main tab should look like:
    [​IMG]

25. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Member

Personaly, I'm fond of "andriod task manager" Just as always, turn off the uneeded radios, bluetooth, gps, wifi, 4g when ot in use, then add the bloatware and pretty much EVERY app to the auto kill list you can create. They launch when ready anyways. I get 12-20 hours between charges depending on how much media I stream, and any App I want to run I just toggle. The task manager kills it when I'm done if I leave it idle. I use the free version.