&roid Well-Known Member

Ok..........who's gonna try it first?
    BTW..... 7764726 spells "program"

3. Navychief52

Navychief52 Active Member

I did it..... no damage.

4. kwest12

kwest12 Well-Known Member

This is the exact same trick the Incredible users used and the Droid users used and probably users of other phones as well. Like the article says, you're simply changing the phone to use a newer type of voice codec.

From what I've read about this, the only reason that phones don't come this way out of the box is b/c not EVERYWHERE supports this codec yet. If you happen to be in one of the few areas unlucky enough not to support this codec, just change it back if it doesn't work.

AFIAK there is no downside do making this change if this codec is supported in your area (which it most likely is). I know the article says something about faster battery drain but I don't believe the Incredible users were reporting any increased battery drain after doing this either.

5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

I tried it out and it made a slight improvement in call quality, noticeable but not night and day for me. It makes the DX use a newer codec to encode your voice so it should help if your network supports it. Easy to reverse if you find yourself in an area that doesn't support it.

6. WishinItWas

WishinItWas Well-Known Member

I did this too, results are not life changing but very much improved in regards to clarity.

7. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

I did this same thing when I still had my DInc and it seemed to work.

8. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

Just so you guys know, the revision B is a newer technology than the default A, but I read that only some 15-20% of Verizon's towers support B so far. This basically means that you're severely hurting your overall coverage if you force it to B. So only use it if absolutely necessary and if you find your signal is poor then go back to A.

john0821 likes this.
  9. zandroidx

zandroidx Well-Known Member

I'm confused. If it doesn't work in all areas, does that mean that after you upgrade the codec that you might drive through an area where your phone no longer works specifically because of the codec? Even if they have Verizon service?

10. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

Right. Rev A and Rev B are two different signals and most towers broadcast just A and some broadcast both. If you set it to B then your phone can only have service if it happens to be in range of a tower that has the B signal. If you're not having problems my suggestion is to just not mess with it and leave it at default.

zandroidx likes this.
  11. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

My call quality is fine as is. Much better than with the Dinc. I don't need to mess with the codex as I did with the Dinc. Just sayin.

12. Naughty#9

Naughty#9 Active Member

i tried it and i still had poor reception. i guess my phone has a problem. i have a fair amount of static in calls. it is only clear if i am standing outdoors.

13. john0821

john0821 Well-Known Member

It is clearer, but I just don't want to deal with the headache if I happen to be on the phone, and it switches to a tower that gives a bad signal.