• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HOW TO: Install 2.1 and Root (for dummy's)

OOOOkay!!! Finally got it this morning.

Thanks for all your help! It's great to have this forum to turn to for help!

Glad you finally got it!

As far as command prompts while rooted...

I would suggest using connectbot (free app in the marketplace) unless you really love messing with USB drivers...

I say that only b/c I had to use a completely different set of USB drivers using ADB through the SDK tools then I did for the Sprint Update Utility.

It's really probably a phone-by-phone case basis though...

Upvote 0
i ran into a proble. i just put the zip file on the root of my sd card. when i hold down the three buttons i dont get a recovery ui i get the screen saying downloading dont turn off target. any clues to what i did wrong

- b. Reboot into recovery - Turn Phone off. Then hold down: vol down + talk + end until the Recovery UI appears.

You should only use Download Mode (vol down + End + Camera) when you are using the Sprint Update Tool.

Upvote 0
I have followed all of the instructions posted above....

Downloaded SWUpdate
Downloaded Joey's bundled file..... which ended up in my downloads as
SPH-M900_MR2_DD03_REL-joeykrim-recovery-2.1.3.tar
So far, so good, right??

Then, I went into the Sprint Update Tool and replaced the only file under binary with the file I just downloaded....

Then, I ran the Update Tool. After removing the battery and putting it back in, then putting it into download mode (definitely was in download mode.... the screen said downloading and all that good jazz), I plugged in the USB cord as directed and it said it was locating USB drivers.... then it said COM4 Connected at the bottom.... I pressed next and it told me to remove and reinsert the battery again, which I did.

I put the phone in download mode again and followed the prompt to plug in the USB cord. It said COM4 Connected at the bottom again and I pressed next. At this screen, it tells me to press Start Software Download. I did this, and waited and waited and waited..... the status bar stays at Ready..... never moves. In big red letters it says Updating.... Do not Disconnect! But, as far as I can tell, it's not doing anything!

I tried this 3 times now with the same result each time. Did I download the wrong file, or am I missing a step or what?? I am super excited about getting 2.1 and now I'm really bummed! Can someone please help??

Found an answer to this problem on SDX.... it suggested leaving it at the screen and removing and reinserting the battery and then going into recovery mode. However, it didn't say what to press from here, so I just booted up the phone, then turned it off, removed and reinserted the battery again, and started over with the updater.... and it worked this time. Hopefully if anyone else has this issue, this will help.

I haven't actually messed with it much yet, but.... I did notice however that I don't have better service as I've seen mentioned several times. Not sure why.... my crappy luck I guess. Haha.

Upvote 0
I have followed all of the instructions posted above....

Downloaded SWUpdate
Downloaded Joey's bundled file..... which ended up in my downloads as
SPH-M900_MR2_DD03_REL-joeykrim-recovery-2.1.3.tar
So far, so good, right??

Then, I went into the Sprint Update Tool and replaced the only file under binary with the file I just downloaded....

Then, I ran the Update Tool. After removing the battery and putting it back in, then putting it into download mode (definitely was in download mode.... the screen said downloading and all that good jazz), I plugged in the USB cord as directed and it said it was locating USB drivers.... then it said COM4 Connected at the bottom.... I pressed next and it told me to remove and reinsert the battery again, which I did.

I put the phone in download mode again and followed the prompt to plug in the USB cord. It said COM4 Connected at the bottom again and I pressed next. At this screen, it tells me to press Start Software Download. I did this, and waited and waited and waited..... the status bar stays at Ready..... never moves. In big red letters it says Updating.... Do not Disconnect! But, as far as I can tell, it's not doing anything!

I tried this 3 times now with the same result each time. Did I download the wrong file, or am I missing a step or what?? I am super excited about getting 2.1 and now I'm really bummed! Can someone please help??[/quote
Just keep trying, it did the same thing for me, it eventually d/l'd and installed.

Reactions: Ess-E915
Upvote 0
Awesome thread from the OP. I was really paranoid to do this as I didn't want to brick my phone accidentally. Took me most of the day to do it but it was mostly because I had to download all these different files to the computer and open them the correct way. My wife wants to wait to see if my phone blows up but when she finally breaks down and tells me she wants it done to hers it will take a fraction of the time because I'm ready now.

Thank you

Upvote 0
How do you roll back to the stock version if you need to go to sprint for servicing?

Just put the CL14 file back in the binary folder and run the SWupdater again. I did it once, it is very easy. I would run a backup of your 2.1 configuration in the recovery screen, that way you could go back to 2.1 and have all your apps and settings saved.

Upvote 0
I keep getting stuck at "Cannot open BIN File!" after I press start software. any suggestions???

***CLARITY***

1.These instructions are great
2.Make sure you have ONLY the joeykrim recovery .tar file in the binary or you will not flash your phone
3. If you get stuck in Download mode...dont fret, you have not bricked your phone. Just reboot and your still in stock losing no information.
4. you can find a video how to in to parts here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMy1iwllN54&feature=player_embedded

or Here:

http://androidmods.com/index.php?s=samsung

5. This thread needs to be stickied

Upvote 0
So I did the DD10 update the way you posted and it still says DD03. I was maybe thinking that instead of putting the DD10 .tar file in the root directory of the SD card, you should maybe put it in the Binary folder from the Samsung update utility because you can't flash to DD10 from the SD..Maybe you should fix that.

Once you have DD03 with Joey's recovery you flash DD10 from the sd card in recovery mode. Make sure you are looking at the Build Number it should say "ECLAIR.DD10", but the baseband version should still say S:M900.8.OS.DD03.

Upvote 0
Ok it says apply ZIP from SD, and in the post the .zip file is Android2.1-DD10-SDX-update.zip.

I applied it and later found that after applying(with both the .zip and .tar file at root of SD), the .tar file went from 123mb to 0b...

Sorry, I actually forgot one of the steps in the process. You need to put both files on the SD card, in no folder. Make sure that the .tar file is around 124,041kb. I had an issue the first time I downloaded it to my computer and it was much smaller than that because it was incomplete. Certain web browsers (like Google Chrome) don't notify you of an incomplete download. Make sure your download is complete and of proper size. Also, make sure your recovery console says Recovery 2.1.3 at that top (if not you lack Joey's Recovery and need to install it). You only need to install the zip file from recovery (don't need to touch the .tar file). Make sense?

Upvote 0
Ok it says apply ZIP from SD, and in the post the .zip file is Android2.1-DD10-SDX-update.zip.

I applied it and later found that after applying(with both the .zip and .tar file at root of SD), the .tar file went from 123mb to 0b...

Try downloading your .tar file again.

For those having issues always try downloading the files again and watch the download carefully to make sure it completes successfully.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones