• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To] Install a Custom Recovery, Install a Custom Kernel or ROM and change Boot Animation

Many thanks to Yogi and instructions. I am a complete noob and was really paranoid about doing this, but I followed the instructions verbatim and it worked with no hiccups, apart from not being able to use Titanium in step 2 because it said the phone was not rooted, so I skipped this step.

I installed BobZhome's latest Gingerbread rom and was really impressed by the speed and interface, however....

.....I realized that my Google contacts were not being synced when I was running the phone as stock, so when I installed the Gingerbread ROM, I was missing a crap load of contacts!

So I have now restored the VM stock from the backup to fix the contacts. But my question is; my phone is not apparently not rooted now, so do I need re-root to reinstall the ROM again. And also when you root, is it just rooting temporarily?

Another question. Whilst I like the Gingerbread ROM, can anyone suggest a stable and fast Froyo ROM. I heard a lot about Bumblebee, but need advise.

Incidentally my stock Android version is 2.2.1

Thanks in advance.

Gaz

Reactions: yogi-4
Upvote 0
You don't need to be rooted to install a ROM. You need a custom recovery, which you installed while having a temporary root.
Bumblebee is seriously fast.
It's sweet spot is 787MHz-480MHz which is were it's set to run at. This will give you the best all-around performance and battery off charge times.
You can go higher with it. When the phone reboots you know your to high.

Upvote 0
On step 10 of this root walkthrough the first of 3 drivers installed and then I got an error message during the 2nd driver install stating something like "setup has detected that version 3.06.000 is already installed... you need to uninstall later version before installing older one..." I hit "OK" and the 3rd driver began to launch. I haven't allowed the 3rd driver to begin installing yet. Do I need to do anything about the 2nd driver, or can I plow ahead with the third?

Thanks in advance. I'm the noobiest of noobs.

Upvote 0
Thanks, brotherswing.

SuperOneClick v1.6.3.0
Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing psneuter...
1119 KB/s (585731 bytes in 0.511s)

OK

chmod psneuter...

OK

Running psneuter...
OK

***IF IT KEEPS LOOPING, TRY DISABLING USB DEBUGGING NOW***

Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Running psneuter...
ROOTED

This is what I've got after running SuperOne. Step 11 says to NOT exit SuperOne, but press "any key" in ROMTools to look for # or $. I hit "any key" and ROMTools does nothing. Should I exit SuperOne (like ROMTools is prompting me to do) and then hit "any key" in ROMTools?

Thanks again. I wasn't expecting such a speedy reply!

Upvote 0
Hope you don't mind me jumping in and helping.
I have extensive knowledge of ROMTools and it's functionality. (Helped yogi4 with the tutorial instructions) .

If you used the shell root option( this is very important) ROMTools will only give you a temporary root that goes away at the next reboot. If you reboot before finishing a task, you need to run the shell root option again. Please do not use the Root option, it will eventually lead to you phone acting goofy and your apps force closing.

Reactions: brotherswing
Upvote 0
Thanks again, brotherswing. Looks like I'm rooted. Appreciate your quick help a few days before Christmas. God Bless!
No problem, I just hope everything works out okay. I don't really know ROM Tools at all, I was just trying to fill in until another member with greater familiarity (thanks, Andy) could get you sorted. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones