How to install a new boot animation WITHOUT rootTips

Last Updated:

1. JMD

JMD Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm not quite ready to root yet but wanted to do some more custimization to my phone. I read in another forum about being able to change the boot animation without root. It worked so after reading about some of you all that don't like the sprint 4g boot animation I figured I'd share.

First, you need to install android SDK. Bill did a good guide to installing it: http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-evo-4g/90418-how-install-android-sdk.html.

When I was installing the sdk I had a lot of trouble with installing the driver for the EVO for whatever reason. Eventually this is what worked for me:
    dc50 Hideaway: ADB Driver for HTC Evo 4G

Once you get SDK installed find a new boot animation. There are a few here: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-evo-4g/106615-custom-boot-animations.html.

The boot animation should be a zip file named "bootanimation". Put this file in the tools folder of the sdk.

Open up command prompt (Start>Run>type "cmd"). In command prompt you need to get to the sdk tools folder. To do this I typed in "cd C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools" where "User"=you user name. This may be different depending on your version of windows and where you unpacked sdk.

Now from here you can check to make sure your device is connected by typing in "adb devices". If you get a line that says "List of Devices Attached" and then a line with some numbers and letters followed by "device" you are conneceted. If not go back a try reinstalling Android SDK.

Now with the bootanimation.zip file in the tools folder and command prompt pointing to the tools folder type "adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local". Make sure you put the spaces in or it won't work.

Restart your phone and you should see the new boot animation instead of the Sprint 4G one.

Advertisement
  2. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

Does installing the Android SDK have any other effects to your phone or does it just allow you to make some other adjustments?

3. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

The SDK is installed on your computer, not your phone. It has no effect on your phone whatsoever.

It is used to make connections to your phone, and by doing so, you can make changes to your phone. But that's the whole point.

4. jadoe05

jadoe05 Well-Known Member

I'm confused, if you can go through all of this, why aren't you ready to root?

5. JMD

I guess that was somewhat bad wording. It's not that I'm not "ready" I just haven't really found a need yet. If I find something I want to do or an app that I want that requires root I'll do it.

I thought this was kind of cool and after going through various other posts to figure everything out and get it working on my phone I figured if someone else wanted to do it I could put it all in one place so they wouldn't have to go through some of the stuff I did for it to work.

ZNA03 likes this.
  6. Bikegeek

Bikegeek Well-Known Member

How do you push an mp3 file? I get a fail due to read-only file system (not rooted phone).

Nevamind, got it. Needs to be named android_audio.mp3 and go to /data/local

7. baizej

baizej Member

Awesome, just found this. I took one of the BIOS boot screens from XDA and customized it with Evo information. Thanks!

madcow12 likes this.
  8. Rdot9

Rdot9 Well-Known Member

*sigh* i suck at this... back to step one tomorrow lol

9. Quash

Quash New Member

I registered just to thank you for these instructions. I followed them, and the amazing android SDK install instructions and this worked for me on my first shot! Job well done.

10. Rdot9

Rdot9 Well-Known Member

wasnt working for me... this is what i had to type into cmd to get it to work...

Cd c:\users\yourname\desktop\android-sdk\tools (or where ever the folder is located.)
    then when it was on the tools folder
    adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local

11. harleyless

harleyless Well-Known Member

So is there anything else you can do without rooting, like removing sprint tv, nascar, and that other junk I dont want?

Also, what about sound? Can I add an MP3 to the startup?

12. Paterick

Paterick Member

What do you do if you want to original boot animation back?

13. Rdot9

Rdot9 Well-Known Member

dont quote me on this, but maybe try deleting the bootanimation.zip you downloaded in the tools folder of SDK?

14. JMD

I haven't tried yet but maybe try this:

15. Buzzwyzr

Buzzwyzr Member

This method no longer works after updating to 2.2.

16. Bikegeek

Anyone tried this after 2.2? I pushed the 2 files to /data/local but I still get the old boot screen.

17. effdee1121

effdee1121 New Member

okay so i did everything right, i have a mytouch, non rooted. and my device is connected to the sdk. i pushed the bootanimation and it was successful but when i reboot it's still the same boring android logo. help??

18. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Wrong phone brah, this is for the Evo. Not the MyTouch 3g.

19. Bikegeek

<<Anyone tried this after 2.2? I pushed the 2 files to /data/local but I still get the old boot screen.>>

Any ideas on this?

20. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

21. Bikegeek

It seems that root is now required to change the animation :-(.