How To Install A New ROM On Droid If I Am Currently Using One

Last Updated:

1. Aguero

Aguero Member This Topic's Starter

I recently rooted my droid and quickly selected a ROM to flash. I'm currently using succulent desire 7, and while it is working fine for me, i feel that it is time to try something new. i want to try liquid frozen yogurt v1.4, preferably the smoked liquid frozen yogurt. My only problem is, i dont know how to switch. can someone PLEASEEE help me out A.S.A.P

Advertisement
  2. Aguero

I recently rooted my droid and quickly selected a ROM to flash. I'm currently using succulent desire 7, and while it is working fine for me, i feel that it is time to try something new. i want to try liquid frozen yogurt v1.4, preferably the smoked liquid frozen yogurt. My only problem is, i dont know how to switch. can someone PLEASEEE help me out A.S.A.P

3. triplecrown

triplecrown Well-Known Member

Boot into recovery and wipe cache/data. Then flash new rom. Easy as pie. :) Just ensure to make a backup before doing so.

4. Aguero

the thing is, i'm not to sure how to do everything you said. i know that it might be easy, but i must admit, when it comes to this, i know NOTHING. if its not too much of a hassle, do you think that you could walk me through it. "...for dummies" style lol. thanks

5. burntorangefan

burntorangefan Well-Known Member

And when you flash LFY 1.41, make sure you flash the ROM first and then flash the theme after...Flashing via ROM manager (Clockwork Recovery) is the easiest way to do it, IMO. Hope that helps.

6. Aguero

ahhhhh, again, i'm sorry burntorangefan, but i have no idea what you just said. BTW, i hope your name is in regards to the longhorns lol. hook 'em horns!

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

If you need help ASAP, probably best to ask in the right section ;)

I've moved your thread to the Droid Rooting section for you.

8. triplecrown

triplecrown Well-Known Member

Ok so first download the rom you want and put it on your SD card. Boot into recovery and select nandroid and then backup to make a "backup" of your current setup. When that's done select wipe data/factory reset and select yes. Then wipe cache partition and select yes. Some people do this two or three times in a row. You can if you want. I do. Anyway now choose install zip from sd card and then select choose zip from sd card. Then navigate to where the zip file is and select it. When it is all done reboot and you are good to go.

Edit: Sorry. This was all assuming you have clockwork recovery and not sprecovery. If you have sprecovery let me know and I will write that up real quick but I'd recommend clockwork recovery since you don't have to rename to update.zip and you can flash multiple zips without rebooting.

9. Aguero

What is the difference between clockwork and sprecovery? i did not root the phone myself. i had someone else do it for me, and since then been unable to contact that person for further help. which explains why i know nothing lol. sorry.

10. MaxPacker

MaxPacker Well-Known Member

You can check if you have Clockwork or SPRecovery by two methods.

1.) Power your phone down, then boot it to recovery by holding the "x" key on the hardware keyboard and the power button simultaneously; once you see the screen turn on, cease holding the power button but continue holding x until you get to a "recovery" screen. Tell us what you see here.

or

2.) Click on your launcher and find the "ROM Manager" app. Open it and see what the first option says. If it says "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery: You must have the ClockworkMod Recovery installed to flash and restore ROMs!" then you have SPRecovery installed.

Report back, and we'll go from there.

11. Aguero

i opened the rom manager app and the first option says flash clockworkmod recovery.

12. MaxPacker

MaxPacker Well-Known Member

Okay, the easiest thing to do is to select flash clockwork mod recovery and use ROM Manager to manage everything. It's the easiest way to go about changing ROMs.

Once you flash it, you can select other ROMs and flash them through the app. Always make sure you create a Nandroid backup of your existing system before going through with anything.

If the ROM you want is not offered through ROM Manager, or you'd rather download files to your PC and transfer them, you can flash SPRecovery, which does the same thing but isn't nearly as comprehensive and intuitive as Clockworkmod.

It comes down to personal preference, but if you didn't root your phone yourself, I suggest you do a little bit of reading around here to find out just what was done. When I root someones phone, I always make sure they know what I did; and what I've come to find out, is that if you can't root this phone now, you probably don't need it done/care to know.

Not to sound like a hardass, I just don't want you to do something to your phone. That being said, the phone can never truly be bricked. Just do some reading, these guys have really made the root culture accessible to us everyday folk.

And again, for starting out, ClockworkMod is probably better suited for you. Find a ROM and flash it, and let us know how it works. :)

13. kidon

kidon Well-Known Member

I found the "easy" way is to download ROM manager from the market, open it up and flash clockworkmod recovery. Download the liquid's ROM and theme, place both zips on the root of your sdcard. Preform a back up through rom manager. Then reboot in recovery. Perform a wipe/factory reset. then while still in recovery select install zip from sdcard>choose zip form sdcard>LFYv1.4 and install. Once it's installed then reboot and sync. After your sync'd up then reboot in recovery again and do the same process to install the theme and kernal, but do not wipe. Then reboot again and you should be good to go.