1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

How to install a program without using the Market?Support

Last Updated:

1. JeffP

JeffP Member This Topic's Starter

I did a very stupid thing.... I accidentally uninstalled my Astro File manager.

I'm using my phone while temporarily away for a few months (out of the country). To cut costs I only have a phone service plan, not internet, so there's no way to connect to the internet via Market.

I have a copy of Astro File manager on the SD card, but this phone has no file browser at all!!

I can connect to the computer and access folders that way.... if that helps at all.

Any ideas how I can install a file manager?

thanks

Jeff

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

I'm not sure what folders are available from your PC, but can you copy it to the downloads folder. I think you can get to that one without an explorer. My stock GNex has a link to it in the app drawer.

3. JeffP

thanks pupkact

Unfortunately my programs aren't smart enough to recognize anything other than their native format. My viewer programs only recognize images, document readers only recognize documents, Video/ audio apps only recognize their own range of video formats... etc

It just amazes me that a mobile computer isn't smart enough to have a functioning browser... Even my 10 yr old ipaq, had one!

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

I should have thought of this before, is WiFi available?

5. tukatz

tukatz Well-Known Member

Good catch. I have a phone without a data plan and I keep it connected to my wireless network at home. I can access the Google Store with it and was able to find the Astro file manager. I could have installed it that way.

6. JeffP

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I had thought of using Wifi, after I deleted it, but unfortunately my modem isn't wireless. I'll guess I'll need to locate a free wifi hotspot.

I was hoping there was an alternative way.

Thanks